Running a career in both acting and singing takes plenty of time and effort. It requires dedication, time management, planning, and hard work. While many people would easily get overwhelmed by such a multi-faceted career, Tia Carrere continues to handle everything with grace and a smile on her face. How has she managed to do all these at the same time?
Althea Rae Janairo, who is commonly known as Tia Carrere, was born on the 2nd of January 1967. She is an actress, singer and former model who was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, United States of America. Tia Carrere age now is 52 years. Who is Tia Carrere's mother? Audrey Duhinio Janairo, a computer supervisor, is Tia’s mother. Her father, Alexander Janairo, had a career in banking. Tia’s star sign is Capricorn, and her nationality is American. What ethnicity is Tia Carrere? The singer has mixed ancestry. She is of Chinese-Filipino-Spanish descent.
- Name: Althea Rae Janairo (commonly known as Tia Carrere)
- Date of birth: 2nd January 1967
- Place of birth: Honolulu, Hawaii, United States of America
- Current residence: Los Angeles, California
- Star sign: Capricorn
- Nationality: American
- Ethnicity: Chinese-Filipino-Spanish
- Mother: Audrey Duhinio Janairo
- Father: Alexander Janairo
- Height: 5 feet 8 inches (1.73 metres/ 173 centimetres)
- Weight: 59 kilograms (130 lbs)
- Eye colour: Black
- Hair colour: Black
- Body measurements: 36-24-35 inches
- Alma mater: Sacred Hearts Academy
- Profession: Actress, singer, former model
Tia Carrere education and childhood
Tia is the eldest child in her family. One of her sisters is Saundra Janairo. One of her little sisters could not properly pronounce the name Althea. Instead, it came out as Tia, and that is now the actress and singer adopted the name. As a child, Tia was interested in music. Her grandmother, Rae, took Tia to her first singing lesson when she was only 11 years old. She went to school at Sacred Hearts Academy, which is an all-girls’ school.
Body measurements and physical appearance
It is indisputable that Tia Carrere hot body makes her the envy of many women globally. Tia Carrere now stands at a height of 5 feet 8 inches (1.73 metres/ 173 centimetres.) She weighs about 59 kilograms (130 pounds.) She has black hair and eyes. Her hourglass body measures 36-24-35 inches for bust, waist and hip measurements.
READ ALSO: Sara Carter (reporter) bio: age, husband, career
Tia’s main passion in her childhood was singing. Fate would, however, redirect her into acting. In her pursuit of a singing career, she auditioned for Star Search in 1985 when she was only 17 years old. She was eliminated during the first round. As she went about her life, she was spotted by a local producer during a shopping trip to Waikiki grocery. The producer guided and mentored Tia, who soon became part of the cast of the film, Aloha Summer.
Aloha Summer opened doors for the newly discovered actress. Tia relocated to Los Angeles, California, where she worked as a model for a short while. She then landed a role in the television series, Airwolf. Later, she became part of the cast of General Hospital, a daytime soap opera. In this production, she portrayed the character of Jade Soong between 1985 and 1987. Featuring in General Hospital was Tia’s breakthrough into the film and television industry.
Tia Carrere movies and TV shows
After her breakthrough, Tia has featured in numerous television shows and movies. She has continued to portray each character perfectly and is now a household name in the industry.
The television shows that Tia has featured in are the following:
- In 1885, Tia was a Philippines Contestant in the Episode "Who's Trying to Kill Miss Globe?" in the series, Cover Up.
- She was the Girl at Golden Calf in the television movie, Covenant, in 1985.
- The same year, she portrayed the character of Kiki Tinabi in Airwolf.
- Between 1985 and 1987, the actress was the character Jade Soong in the soap opera, General Hospital.
- In 1986, she featured as herself in the episode "The Sound of Thunder" in The A-Team. The same year, she was in MacGyver as Lisa Chan in the episode, "The Wish Child."
- Between 1987 and 1988, Tia appeared as herself in four episodes of The New Hollywood Squares. She was a panellist on the show.
- In 1987’s Tour of Duty, the actress portrayed the character of Lang in the episode, "Dislocations."
- She also appeared in four episodes of Noble House in 1988.
- Tia played the role of Tiu in MacGyver that aired in 1988. This was in the episode, “Murderer's Sky."
- The following year, the actress acted as Cyanne in the television movie, The Road Raiders.
- She also appeared as Cey in the episode, "Those Lips, Those Thais" in Anything But Love in 1989.
- In 1990, she acted as Michiko Tanaka in Friday the 13th: The Series. The same year, she was Chu-Hoi in Quantum Leap and Piper Bauman in Married...with Children.
- Tia, in 1991, featured as Mina in the television film, Intimate Stranger.
- In the episode "On a Deadman's Chest" in Tales from the Crypt which aired in 1992, she executed the character of Scarlett.
- Her next television show was in 1995 when she featured as Simone Gideon in the television film, Nothing But the Truth.
- Between 1995 and 1996, Tia played the recurring role of Beverly Nichols in Murder One.
- She also appeared in the 1996 television movie, Desert Breeze.
- In 1997, she was the voice actress of Mija in Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child.
- The following year, she starred in Dogboys as Jennifer Dern, a District Attorney. 1998 also saw her being cast as Kim in Veronica's Closet, and as the voice of Marigold in Hercules.
- She was the voice of Katrina Van Tassel in The Night of the Headless Horseman which aired in 1999.
- Between 1999 and 2002, Tia featured as Sydney Fox in 66 episodes of Relic Hunter. She was an archaeology professor in the show.
- From 2000 to 2001, she was a panellist in 15 episodes of Hollywood Squares.
- Tia’s thriving career saw her being cast as the voice of Queen Tyr'ahnee - The Martian Queen in Duck Dodgers which aired between 2003 and 2005.
- She also featured in Lilo & Stitch: The Series as the voice of Nani Pelekai in 18 episodes between 2003 and 2006.
- In 2004, she featured both as herself and additional voices in four episodes of Johnny Bravo. She also provided the voice of Darklos in Megas XLR and was cast as Vicki Westin in the television film, Torn Apart.
- In 2005, the actress featured in two television shows. She was Lisa Delgado in Supernova and was Yan Yan’s voice in American Dragon: Jake Long.
- The following year, she performed as Dean Torres in The O.C. and was a contestant in 8 episodes of Dancing with the Stars. She emerged the sixth overall in Dancing with the Stars.
- 2007 saw Tia starring as Maggie in Back to You, Mistress Dark Pain in Nip/Tuck, and Cha Cha in Curb Your Enthusiasm.
- In the Untitled Liz Meriwether Project that aired in 2008, she featured as Paula Poland.
- In 2010, Tia acted as Agent Katie Logan in Warehouse 13 and as a guest judge on Iron Chef America: The Series.
- 2011 was the year she featured in True Justice as Lisa Clayton and as Jessica Draycott in Combat Hospital.
- Between 2011 and 2013, Tia was in Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated. She provided the voices of Amy Cavenaugh/Judy Reeves.
- In The Apprentice which aired in 2012, she was a contestant in 14 episodes. She was eliminated from the Donald Trump show in the fifth week. She also portrayed the role of Lia Hernandez in In Plain Sight.
- 2012 saw Tia appearing as herself in The Birthday Boys.
- In 2014, the talented actress was in two shows. She was Marissa Knox in Asteroid vs Earth and provided the voice of Island Girl in Uncle Grandpa.
- In 2015, Tia featured as Makana Kalakaua in Hawaii Five-0.
- She was the voice of the Hawaiian Woman in Family Guy which aired in 2016.
- In 2017, she was the voice of Auntie Olina in Mickey and the Roadster Racers. She also featured as Chow Lin in Blue Bloods.
- In 2018, she was the voice of Officer Santos/Mechanica in Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters.
In addition to the numerous television shows that Tia has featured in, she also has starred in many movies. These are the following:
- 1987 was the year that Tia got her first role in a film. She played the role of Amy in Zombie Nightmare.
- The following year, she featured as Lani in Aloha Summer.
- In 1989, she appeared in Fine Gold as Stella.
- In 1990, Tia was Mai Chang in the movie Enemy.
- In 1991, the actress starred in two films. She was Minako Okeya in Showdown in Little Tokyo, and Kimiko in Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man.
- She played the roles of Cassandra and Adrienne in Wayne’s World and Little Sister, respectively in 1992. In Wayne’s world, Tia performed her own songs. The soundtrack also featured her vocals.
- 1993 saw the actress starring in four different movies. She was in Rising Sun as Jingo Asakuma, Janet Sakamoto in Quick, Dr. Jessica Jamison in Treacherous, and Cassandra Wong in Wayne's World 2.
- In 1994, she was Juno Skinner in True Lies and Monica in Jury Duty.
- In The Immortals, she played the role of Gina Walker. She also portrayed the character of Nora in Hostile Intentions. Both films aired in 1995.
- Tia was part of three films in 1996. She acted as Diane Norwood in Hollow Point, Victoria Chapell in High School High, and Christina in Natural Enemy.
- The following year, she acted in Kull the Conqueror as Akivasha and Rebecca Mercer in Top of the World.
- In 1998, the actress was Candy in Scar City and also appeared as herself in 20 Dates. She was the executive producer of 20 dates.
- In 1999, she acted in the movie, My Teacher's Wife, as Vicky Mueller. She was also Karen Haggerty in Five Aces and was the co-executive producer of If...Dog...Rabbit.
- In the year 2000, Tia featured in Merlin: The Return as Dr. Joan Maxwell.
- After taking a break from movie roles, she appeared as Samantha Feld in Meet Prince Charming and was the voice of Nani Pelekai in Lilo & Stitch.
- In 2003, Tia was cast in the film, Stitch! The Movie, as Nani Pelekai.
- In 2005, she provided the voice of Snookie in Aloha, Scooby-Doo!, and was Loot in Back in the Day. The same year, she was the voice actress of the character Nani Pelekai in the movie, Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch.
- 2006 saw the actress featuring as Nani Pelekai as a voice actress in Leroy & Stitch.
- In 2008, Tia featured in Dark Honeymoon as Miranda.
- The following year, she was Ms. Haumea in Wild Cherry.
- In 2010, she acted as Jodie in Hard Breakers.
- In You May Not Kiss the Bride, which was released in 2011, Tia played the role of Lani.
- She was Kate Parks the following year in the film, Collision Course.
- In 2013, Tia was the associate producer and also featured as Michelle Gaines in the movie, Final Recourse.
- In 2014, she acted as Leanne in Gunshot Straight.
- The following year, she featured in three films. The first was Pirates Code: The Adventures of Mickey Matson, where she portrayed the character of Kelly. The second was a short film, Behind Palm Swings, where she was Cherry Bomb, and the last was in Tom and Jerry: Spy Quest where she provided the voice of Jezebel Jade.
- Similar to 2015, Tia starred in three movies. She acted as Ella in the short film, Business Unusual and as Mrs. Wells in Showdown in Manila. She also acted as Mother in The Girl.
- In 2017, she was Ms. Cherry Bomb in Palm Swings.
- In 2018, she was the voice of Nana in The Legend of Hallowaiian.
- She will be Kirsty in Felo De Se that will be released soon.
Tia has also featured in three video games. She was Ari Matheson in The Daedalus Encounter which was released in 1995. In 2006, she was the voice of Lin in Saints Row, and in 2013, she provided the voice of Lin again for the game, Saints Row IV.
Career in music
Although fate redirected Tia Carrere young life into acting, she did not give up her childhood dream of becoming a renowned singer. So far, she has released five studio albums:
- Dream (released in 1993)
- Hawaiiana (released in 2007)
- 'Ikena (released in 2008 with Daniel Ho)
- He Nani (released in 2009 with Daniel Ho)
- Huana Ke Aloha (released in 2010)
The first album went platinum after its release in the Philippines. In her second album, Hawaiiana, she worked with the award-winning producer, Daniel Ho. Ho accompanied her on the ukulele and slack key guitar. Hawaiiana earned a Grammy nomination in 2008. Her third album, 'Ikena, won a Grammy Award as did her 2010 album, Huana Ke Aloha. Tia also featured in Batman: Mask of the Phantasm’s soundtrack. She performed the ending theme song, "I Never Even Told You."
Other career accomplishments
In 1992, Tia was named in the list of 50 most beautiful people by People. She also featured as herself in commercials by M&M's in the 1990s. She starred in Maxim Magazine and later posed nude in Playboy’s January 2003 issue. In 2009, she was a co-host for the pre-Grammy Awards.
How much is Tia Carrere worth?
It is indisputable that Tia is an accomplished actress and singer. Although she is yet to disclose the amount of money that she received as payment for each of her acting roles, she is a wealthy lady. The amount of money she makes from her singing career is also undisclosed. Tia Carrere net worth is estimated to be $5 million.
Awards and nominations
In her long-running career, Tia has bagged numerous nominations and awards. Some of them are:
- Nomination to the 1992 MTV Movie + TV Awards for the award of Most Desirable Female for her role in Wayne’s World.
- Winner of the 1994 Female Star of Tomorrow during the ShoWest Convention Awards.
- 2001 nominee to the ALMA Awards for the award of Outstanding Lead Actress in a Syndicated Drama Series slot for her performance in Relic Hunter.
- 2007 Grammy Awards nominee for Best Hawaiian Music Album for the album, Hawaiiana.
- 2008 Grammy Awards winner for Best Hawaiian Music Album for her album, 'Ikena.
- 2009 Grammy Awards nominee for Best Hawaiian Music Album for her He Nani album.
- 2010 Grammy Awards winner of Best Hawaiian Music Album for her Huana Ke Aloha album.
Relationships and marriage
Tia married Elie Samaha, a film producer, in 1992. This union lasted until February 2000 when the couple got divorced. She later got into another relationship that resulted in her second marriage. She married Simon Wakelin, her second husband, on the 30th of November, 2002. Wakelin is a photojournalist. Together with Wakelin, Tia delivered her only child, a daughter, on the 25th of September 2005. The birth of Bianca Wakelin happened in Los Angeles, California.
On the 2nd of April 2010, the actress and singer filed for divorce from Wakelin at the Los Angeles County Superior Court. She cited irreconcilable differences as the grounds for the marriage annulment. The divorce was granted in August 2010. She and her ex-husband, Wakelin, share their daughter’s custody. Tia lives in Los Angeles, California with her daughter.
Tia Carrere death hoax
On the 9th of July 2019, news of Tia’s death circulated widely on social media. This was after a Facebook page named ‘R.I.P. Tia Carrere’ was created by unknown people. The page announced her death, and many people sent their condolences. On the 10th of July 2019, Tia’s media representatives demystified the ongoing claims as a mere hoax. They asserted that Tia was still alive and healthy.
Tia is on social media. She has a verified Twitter account with about 35.4k followers. She also has a Facebook page with over 136.6k followers. She uses these platforms to keep in touch with her fans.
Did you know?
Check out these fun facts about Tia Carrere:
- She is fluent in Hawaiian Pidgin.
- She picked her stage name, Carrere, in honour of Barbara Carrera, a former James Bond girl.
- She participated in the National Record-A-Thon in 2011. She recorded book titles for the Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic's audiobook library.
- She is proud of her growth as a person. A look at Tia Carrere now and then confirms that she has changed.
Tia Carrere is a talented singer, actress and former model. This gorgeous lady continues to make an indelible impact in the field of entertainment. She has featured in numerous movies and television shows. She has also released five studio albums. Beyond the screens, the award-winning star is a loving mother to her daughter Bianca.
- Alyson Hannigan bio: age, height, is she married?
- Heath Ledger's daughter Matilda Ledger then and now (see photos)