The shootings at two mosques in the City of Christchurch, New Zealand, have left 49 dead, after a 28-year-old white supremacist opened fire at two mosques.
Daily Mail reports that the death toll stands at 49 but could climb higher.
Legit.ng earlier reported that police in New Zealand confirmed that there were multiple fatalities after shootings at two mosques in the city of Christchurch.
According to the police commissioner, Mike Bush, three men and one woman are in custody in connection with the shooting, BBC reports.
He said: "Police are responding with its full capability to manage the situation, but the risk environment remains extremely high.
"Police recommend that residents across Christchurch remain off the streets and indoors until further notice."
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said details were not yet clear. He said: "But I can tell you now - this will be one of New Zealand's darkest days".
Mohan Ibrahim, who was in the area of the Al Noor mosque, said: "At first we thought it was an electric shock but then all these people started running.
"I still have friends inside. I have been calling my friends but there are many I haven't heard from. I am scared for my friends lives."
An unidentified survivor claimed to have seen a gunman shoot a man directly in the chest. According to him, the shooting lasted for 20 minutes.
He said: "What I did was basically just waiting and praying, God please, let this guy run out of bullets.
"He came to this side, he shot this side, he went to another room and went to the ladies' section and shot them. I just heard one of the ladies has died."
The gunman was said to have identified himself on Twitter as Brenton Tarrant from Grafton, New South Wales.
Report has it that he live-streamed the mass shooting inside the Al Noor Mosque, which happened about as Friday prayers were underway.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that suspected herdsmen reportedly killed 15 people in an early morning attack on a Catholic Church in Benue state, Nigeria, on Tuesday, April 24, 2018.
The attack occurred in Ayar-Mbalom, a community in Gwer East local government area.
Terver Akase, a spokesperson to Governor Samuel Ortom, said the attackers also burnt 50 houses and sacked the entire community.
Nigerian herdsmen vs Nigerian farmers - on Legit TV