Nigerian news All categories All tags
Why I took Miyetti Allah leadership to court - Ortom

Why I took Miyetti Allah leadership to court - Ortom

- Governor Samuel Ortom has once again accused the leadership of Miyetti Allah of being responsible for the killings in Benue state

- The governor said he has instituted criminal proceeding against the herdsmen group

- According to him, perpetrators of the killings will not be allowed to go free

Benue state governor, Samuel Ortom, has once again reiterated his accusation that the leadership of the herdsmen group, Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, are responsible for the incessant killings of farmers and villagers in the state.

Legit.ng gathers that Ortom made this statement while fielding questions from journalists on his return from China after a two-week leave.

The governor said he has instituted criminal proceedings against the leaders of Miyetti Allah at the high court in Makurdi and they would be charged with the murder of the 73 victims killed on New Year in the state, The Sun reports.

READ ALSO: Sudan police arrests suspected killer of Nigerian diplomat

He said: "I’ve said it repeatedly; I’ve written and will continue to write and continue to raise alarm that the leadership of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore are responsible for the killings; for the mercenary work that is going on in Benue state.

"There are evidences; they are on tape, they have addressed press conferences and none of them have come out to refute what was credited to them in the media. They’ve said it is about Jihad; it’s not about grazing. They said it is about occupation; about taking over the land. I’ve presented this to security agencies and I want to believe that it is a whole process; they’re still working on it and at the appropriate time, these people will be apprehended because they cannot go free.

"What we’ve decided to do as a government since there is no response yet is to initiate criminal proceedings against the group in court. I have been briefed that the case is coming up on Thursday at a High Court in Makurdi. We’re beginning with the 73 victims of the New Year day attacks and several others will follow. I believe that the court will definitely give us justice. These people are not going to be allowed to go free; justice must be served to us."

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Legit.ng earlier reported that Ortom has insisted that the recent killings in Benue state were not as a result of the ranching law signed last year.

According to the governor, the crisis claimed nearly 2,000 lives before the making of the law last year, adding that the attacks have continued across the country where there is no grazing law in place.

Benue IDPs: Education amidst crisis on Legit.ng TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel