Boko Haram has reportedly returned 104 out of the kidnapped 110 #DapchiGirls girls back to Dapchi township in Yobe state according to the presidency.
The schoolgirls were kidnapped from Government Girls Science Technical College (GGSTC), Dapchi On February 19, 2018 at about 5:30pm local time.
Channels Television correspondent who monitored the event disclosed this during a programme on Wednesday, March 21.
However, the presidency has disclosed that 76 of the abducted school girls have been released. Bashir Ahmed, a presidential aide disclosed this on Twitter.
"So far, 76 of the 110 abducted Dapchi schoolgirls have been confirmed release and documented, the number of the freed girls would be updated after the remaining ones have been documented, especially because the girls were not handed over to anyone but dropped off in Dapchi," he wrote.
On his part, Lai Mohammed, also claimed that 91 of the school girls have been released.
In an updated version, the federal government says 101 girls have been released.
It was also reported by Sahara Reporters that five of the released girls were alleged to have died.
READ ALSO: Magnificent mansion allegedly belonging to Nigerian senator (photos)
Also confirming the report, Premium Times reported that the chairman of the Dapchi schoolgirls parents association, Bashir Manzo, confirmed that the girls were brought to Dapchi.
“My relatives and colleagues in Dapchi just informed me that the girls were brought this morning,” he said.
“I am heading to Dapchi now from Damaturu. When I get there we will do a head count to see if all of them have been released.”
Daily Trust also reported that a resident confirmed the development.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
According to the resident, the insurgents returned the girls in the early hours of Wednesday, March 21, few minutes after soldiers were withdrawn from the town.
“We are happy. There is jubilation in Dapchi now as the girls are back,” the resident said.
However, it is not yet clear if all the 110 kidnapped girls were freed.
Legit.ng had reported that the federal government has released the names and other details of the 110 girls who have yet to be accounted for, following the attack on the Government Girls Science and Technical College (GGSTC), Dapchi, Yobe state, on Monday, February 19.
Legit.ng gathered that the list was handed over to the minister by the Yobe state government, and it contains the name, age and class of each of the 110 students.
Nigerians react as Boko Haram terrorists kidnap over 100 girls in Dapchi, Yobe - on Legit.ng TV.