Facebook has an option that allows you send messages to multiple friends at a time; in fact, it is a group chat where people are connected to the same conversation. You are able to use this feature on both Facebook’s website and via Facebook messenger.
How to create group chat in Facebook
Creating group chat with Messenger
- Sign in to the Facebook messenger app by entering your account information. For some reason, there is no way to send messages from the actual Facebook app, so you have to use the official Messenger app from Facebook. However, messages sent via Messenger can be seen in the Messenger app as well as on Facebook’s website.
- Click the button which says "New message". If you use an Android device, click the "+" button and tap "Write message". If you have an iOS device, tap on the "New message" (it looks like a sheet of paper with a pencil).
- Add your friend to the chat by simply entering the name of the person you would like to add to the chat. When you start typing a name, different option will appear right below, simply click the right ones to them to the chat.
- If you add more than one friend, you automatically create a group chat. After adding the first friend to the chat, just keep entering the names of the other people until you have added all the people you want.
How does Facebook group chat work?
READ ALSO: Top websites in Nigeria 2017
- Enter the message you want to send to the people you added to the chat. When all message recipients are added, click on the "Write message" button and write your message. There are several options in the row above the text box which allow you to insert pictures, emojis, animated images and much more.
- Send the message when it is ready. In Android devices, the button for sending messages looks like a paper airplane. All the friends in the group chat will receive your message, and all chat members will be able to see all the replies.
You also have the chance to change the name of your group chat; this can be done in the Messenger, otherwise, it will consist of the list of chat members.
The process of changing the group name is quite different for Android and iOS:
- Android: Go to the group chat and click the ⓘ icon at the top right corner. Click ⋮ and select "Rename". Whatever name you type in will be the new name of your group chat.
- iOS: Go to the group chat and click on its name at the top of the screen. Click "Edit" in the upper right corner and then tap "Change name". Type in the new name of your group chat.
Creating a group chat on the Facebook’s website
- Log in to your Facebook account using your login and password.
- Click "New message" in the lower right corner of the screen. This button can be found under the list of your friends who are online.
- If there is already an existing chat and you want to add people there, click the Gear icon and then click "Add friends to chat".
- Find the people you want to chat with and add them. Continue entering names of friends you want to add to the group chat. You can pick them from the list of results which will appear in the process of typing names. You can add any number of friends to a group chat.
At this point you can start typing your messages to your friends in the text box. You can also add emojis; to add a picture, click the button with the picture, and to attach a file stored on your computer, click the button with the paperclip.
- Send a message. When your message is ready, press “Enter” and the message will be sent to the members of the group chat. This will create a group chat, and all chat members will see all the replies of other people.
How to use Facebook group chat?
To add someone to a Facebook group chat:
- Click the message button in the top right corner of the screen.
- Open the chat.
- Click “Actions” and pick “Add friends to Chat”.
- Enter the names of users you want to add.
- Click “Finish”.
Note: anyone added to a group chat will see all previous messages in the chat.
To leave a group chat:
- Go to the page of the group chat.
- Open the “Options” menu.
- Select “Exit” from the chat.
Other members of the chat will get a notification that you will no longer receive messages from the group chat.
Remember, you can only leave a group chat; there is no option to leave a chat between only two people. To stop a user from sending you messages, you can remove him/her from your friend's list or block him/her. You can also report an abusive message.
How to rejoin a Facebook group chat?
Unfortunately there is no way to return to a Facebook group chat that you left once. To be more specific, you can rejoin the chat if someone in the group chat invites/adds you, but you will not be able to see new messages. You will see the chat right to the point you left it, but you will not be able to update messages. Yes, this is inconvenient, but Facebook developers have done nothing to fix the problem yet. So it is better to not leave a group chat you may want to return to in future.
READ ALSO: Top 10 richest Yahoo boys in Nigeria