Update: 3 dead, over 20 injured as military reportedly engages in shoot-out at Nnamdi Kanu's residence (photo, video)
- Soldiers have allegedly invaded the home of IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu
- According to Kanu's lawyer, 3 people died while over 20 were injured in the shootout
- Those who were injured are reportedly currently receiving treatment in a nearby hospital in Umuahia
Soldiers allegedly from the Nigeria army have reportedly laid a siege on the country home of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) leader Nnamdi Kanu in Umuahia. This allegation was contained in a statement issued by Kanu's lawyer.
According to Kanu's lawyer, Ifeanyi Ejiofor, the military had on Sunday, September 10, shot sporadically into the air through which 3 people have been reported dead and over 20 injured.
Ejiofor said that those who were wounded during the incident are currently receiving treatment in a nearby hospital in Umuahia.
READ ALSO: Close confidants of Buhari make up the cabal - Shehu Sani
He said: "There is no doubt that the present deployment of troops to the South East is to haunt for my client and possibly eliminate him. Let the whole world know that if anything untoward happen to my client, that president Buhari and his Chief of Army Staff should be held responsible by the international Community."
"The world should be immediately notified about the tension in Biafra land, created by the Government in power.
"We must adopt all know legal mechanism to resist the unconstitutional but violent approach in dealing with unarmed people merely operating within the confines of law. Buhari must be held responsible.
"We are ready to present our case once more before the international court of Justice. The families that lost their beloved ones in the last year may 29th violent attack by the military are yet to recover from the shock of losing their love ones. This situation must be arrested in time," Ejiofor said.
Watch the video below:
In an earlier report by Legit.ng, the Igbo National Council (INC) gave the Army Chief of Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, a 21-day ultimatum to end the Operation Python Dance II in the south-east.
The group said the south-east region is not a war zone and asked the army chief to withdraw all the soldiers posted to the area within 21 days or be sued at the International Criminal Court (ICC).
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
In a statement signed by the group's national president, Chilos Godsent, the group said: “In view of the above, the Igbo National Council, INC, has analysed the state of the Southeast and the Nigerian state and hereby state the following."
Watch the first appearance of Nnamdi Kanu as he stepped out of prison recently in the Legit.ng TV video below: