- Cristiano Ronaldo has been ranked above Lionel Messi in Sky Sports' list of athletes of the decade
- The Portuguese superstar was ranked third behind tennis star Serena Williams and Formula 1's Lewis Hamilton
- Barcelona ace Messi and retired boxing star Floyd Mayweather completed the top five spots
Cristiano Ronaldo has been ranked above his arch-rival Lionel Messi in Sky Sports' list of athletes of the decade, with tennis superstar, Rafael Nadal shockingly omitted in the controversial ranking.
The Portuguese ace is the only football star in the top three which has tennis star Serena Williams ranked top athlete of the decade courtesy of her ruthless dominance and influence in female tennis.
Formula 1 star Lewis Hamilton clinched the second spot after winning five Formula One Drivers Championships.
Barcelona talisman Lionel Messi came remarkably fourth behind the Juventus star despite having a successful season capped by FIFA the best award and sixth Ballon d'Or.
Chelsea legend includes ex-Super Eagles player in his African team of the decade and it is not Mikel
Retired boxing star, Floyd Mayweather, completed the top five spots following his mega-fight with Manny Pacquiao and Irish UFC star Conor McGregor.
World tennis number 1 Nadal was controversially omitted but world number 2 Novak Djokovic made it into the ranking due to his 62 ATP tournament and 14 Grand Slam wins over the last decade.
Here is Sky Sports' best 20 athletes of the decade as cited on Marca.
1. Serena Williams (Tennis)
2. Lewis Hamilton (Formula 1)
3. Cristiano Ronaldo (Football)
4. Leo Messi (Football)
5. Floyd Mayweather (Boxing)
6. Novak Djokovic (Tennis)
7. Usain Bolt (Athletics)
8. Tom Brady (NFL)
9. Lebron James (NBA)
10. Simone Biles (Gymnastics)
11. Michael Phelps (Swimming)
12. Katie Taylor (Boxing)
13. Richie McCaw (Rugby)
14. Chris Froome (Cycling)
15. Michael van Gerwen (Darts)
16. Marta (Football)
17. Ronda Rousey (UFC)
18. Virat Kohli (Cricket)
19. Allyson Felix (Athletics)
20. Rory Mcllroy (Golf)
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that Floyd Mayweather has been ranked Forbes’ highest-paid athlete of the decade ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.
The boxing legend clinches the number one spot on the list which sums up all earnings from world's biggest sports spanning a period of a decade.
Nigerians react to Anthony Joshua’s win over Ruiz, tip him to crush Wilder, Fury | Legit TV