Just In: Reno Omokri Finally Releases Bold Statement on Jonathan’s 2027 Return Plot

Just In: Reno Omokri Finally Releases Bold Statement on Jonathan’s 2027 Return Plot

  • Reno Omokri has addressed calls for ex-President Goodluck Jonathan to contest the 2027 election, citing his close personal bond with Jonathan
  • In an interview, Omokri reiterated his loyalty to the ex-president and noted that he would not comment publicly on Jonathan’s actions
  • PDP leaders continue to woo Jonathan for 2027, but he has largely stayed away from active politics since his 2015 defeat

Former presidential aide Reno Omokri has broken his long-held silence regarding growing calls for ex-President Goodluck Jonathan to contest the 2027 presidential election.

During an interview on Channels Television’s Politics Today on Friday, August 29, Omokri explained that his close relationship with Jonathan makes it difficult to comment publicly on such matters.

Reno Omokri has finally spoken out on the 2027 plan for former President Goodluck Jonathan’s return.
Omokri breaks his silence regarding Jonathan’s potential 2027 comeback. Photo credit: @GEJonathan/@renoomokri
Source: Twitter
“I have an unconditional love for President Jonathan and so I will not criticise or give an opinion on anything he does on live television,” he said.

Personal ties shape Omokri’s stance

Describing the depth of his bond with the former president, Omokri, who served as Jonathan’s media aide, said:

Read also

Jonathan’s 2027 challenge: APC shares how Tinubu remains unbeatable

“This is a man who came to California and spent ten days with me and my family," he said.

Calls for Jonathan to contest the 2027 election grow

Jonathan, who led Nigeria from 2010 to 2015 following the death of President Musa Yar’Adua, has faced renewed calls to re-enter the political arena.

Despite leaving office after losing the 2015 election to Muhammadu Buhari, interest in his potential candidacy for 2027 continues to grow.

Chieftains of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) have reportedly been wooing Jonathan to contest under the party’s platform, Channels Television reported.

On Thursday, August 28, Governor Bala Mohammed of Bauchi State said the party’s door remains open for the former president.

“But certainly, (former) President Jonathan is one of the candidates we are thinking of, if he joins us and opens his mind to run. And even other people like (former) governor Obi, because if he decides to come to a better platform where there are no encumbrances, he will be given the opportunity too,” Mohammed said.

Read also

Jonathan’s cousin reacts to report of ex-President rejecting pressure to contest in 2027 election

Jonathan yet to re-engage in partisan politics

Pressure mounts on Goodluck Jonathan to join the 2027 election.
Calls increase for Jonathan to make a 2027 presidential comeback. Photo credit: @GEJonathan
Source: Twitter

Although Jonathan was a prominent figure in the PDP, he has largely stayed away from active partisan politics since his 2015 defeat, Vanguard reported.

He has, however, retained his membership of the party, keeping open the possibility of a future political move.

PDP speaks on Jonahan's party membership

Previously, Legit.ng reported that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has declared that former President Goodluck Jonathan remains a member of the party.

Debo Ologunagba, the PDP spokesperson, made this known on Wednesday morning, August 27. Ologunagba addressed the rumours surrounding the ex-president's membership of the PDP while speaking on the party's choice candidate in the 2027 presidential election after it zoned its presidential ticket to the south.

The PDP chieftain reiterated Jonathan's membership in the party but kept mum on Peter Obi, the former Labour Party presidential candidate in the 2023 election, whom he said has not decided whether to join the PDP or not.

Proofreading by James Ojo, copy editor at Legit.ng.

Source: Legit.ng

Authors:
Ezra Ukanwa avatar

Ezra Ukanwa (Politics and Current Affairs Editor) Ezra Ukanwa is a Reuters-certified journalist with over 5 years of professional experience. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Mass Communication from Anchor University, Lagos. Currently, he is the Politics and Current Affairs Editor at Legit.ng, where he brings his expertise to provide incisive, impactful coverage of national events. Ezra was recognized as Best Campus Journalist at the Anchor University Communications Awards in 2019 and is also a Fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM). Contact him at: ezra.ukanwa@corp.legit.ng or +2349036989944