Months after arresting Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari, the head of the Intelligence Response Team (IRT), the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency on Monday, April 25, announced that it has made another big catch: Chief Afam Mallinson Emmanuel Ukatu.
The welcome arrest of Chief Ukatu will doubtlessly open doors for the agency as it advances its investigations into the faces behind numerous illegal drug businesses across Nigeria.
Among many other facts, this feat by the NDLEA will further substantiate the claim that Kyari is guilty and possibly knows more than he is willing to admit.
Legit.ng has assembled a number of facts about this seemingly elusive criminal who has been on the drug law enforcement agency for months.
- Ukatu was born on Friday, May 8, 1964, in Onitsha, Anambra and he is married with five children
- He has a degree in Philosophy from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, and MBA from Crawford University, Ogun
- The suspect's firm, NISPO PORCELAIN COMPANY LTD is said to be the first indigenous floor tiles and PVC manufacturing company in Nigeria
- In 2020, he emerged as the SUN industrialist/entrepreneur of the year
- Ukatu was arrested on board a flight to Abuja at the MM2 terminal of the Lagos airport, Ikeja on Wednesday, April 13
- The suspect is the chairman of Mallinson Group of Companies
- Owns pharmaceutical and plastic manufacturing firms
- Ukatu has been under the watch of the agency since 2021
- His arrest came after surveillance spanning months
- He has a warehouse in Ojota, Lagos state
- Ukatu is a major importer of high dosages of Tramadol Hydrochloride such as 120mg, 200mg, 225mg, and 250mg
- The drug baron owns about 103 bank accounts
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
At last, NDLEA nabs drug baron behind N3bn Tramadol linked to Abba Kyari
Recall that the NDLEA had announced on Monday, April 25, that it has Ukatu in its custody.
Ukatu, the chairman of Mallinson Group of Companies, was nabbed onboard a flight to Abuja at the MM2 terminal of the Lagos airport.
Ukatu is a major importer of high dosages of Tramadol Hydrochloride such as 120mg, 200mg, 225mg, and 250mg.
According to the agency, the suspect runs pharmaceutical and plastic manufacturing firms used as a cover to import illegal pills into Nigeria, apart from the fact that he owns about 103 bank accounts majorly used for money laundering.
The arrest was confirmed by a tweet from NDLEA on Monday, April 25. Part of the agency's statement on the development released by its spokespersons, Femi Babafemi, read:
“Billionaire drug baron behind the N3billion tramadol deal involving the embattled suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari-led Intelligence Response Team, IRT, Chief Afam Mallinson Emmanuel Ukatu has been arrested by operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA."