- Efforts are ongoing by the Federal Capital Territory Administration to hire services of vigilante groups to protect schools
- According to the FCTA, the measures were temporary until a blueprint on security is developed by the FCT Administration soon
- However, the FCTA said that when vigilantes see anything that is beyond them, they will relate with the conventional security agencies to help out
The Federal Capital Territory Administration on Wednesday said plans were underway to hire local vigilante groups to effectively secure schools in the nation’s capital.
This is coming following security reports that bandits from neighbouring states are fleeing to the territory.
Addressing journalists, the Director, Administration and Finance in the Security Services Department of the FCTA, Dr Abdul-lateef Bello said the security architecture of the territory is being overstretched, adding that plans had been concluded by the Administration to hire vigilante services to provide security in the various public schools across the Territory.
He explained that the measures were temporary until a blueprint on security is developed by the FCT Administration soon.
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
He said, “We are talking of short term measures when we said we are helping public schools to facilitate the procurement of vigilantes to complement the efforts of conventional security agencies.
“Remember that some of the vigilantes are equally part of the neighbourhood. They were sourced from the neighbourhood where those schools are situated. So, they know better.
“This is a way of establishing a relationship between the community and government. When the vigilantes see anything that is beyond them, they relate with the conventional security agencies to help out.”
Bandits Declaration: Kidnappers can be treated as terrorists, AGF Abubakar Malami reveals
In another report, Legit.ng had reported that on Thursday, November 25, a federal high court in Abuja declared the activities of two bandit groups as acts of terrorism.
Killing of 322 police, 642 soldiers, indicate we are in very difficult circumstances, Northern Elders lament
The ruling was pronounced following an ex-parte motion filed by Mohammed Abubakar, the director of public prosecution (DPP) at the ministry of justice.
Speaking on Wednesday, December 1, during a programme, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN said those who kidnap using force and arms will be treated within the ambit of the terrorism act.
Insecurity: You must not rest, Buhari gives marching orders to Security Chiefs
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had earlier reported that President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered an immediate security response to the current insecurity across the country, occasioned by bandits and insurgents activities.
The Nigerian leader gave the marching orders on Thursday, November 25, after receiving briefs from all security chiefs, security agencies and intelligence organizations for security nationwide.
In another report, Rauf Aregbesola, the minister of interior made the disclosure at the end of the National Security Council (NSC) meeting presided over by President Buhari at the Presidential Villa.