- Meta, the parent company of WhatsApp, has updated its channel features, expanding to over 150 countries
- The feature now allows for one-to-many communication through broadcast messages, with additional features
- WhatsApp has also promised to add more features based on user feedback in the coming months
Meta has announced significant updates to its WhatsApp Channel feature, a strategic move to make the messaging app work like X formerly Twitter.
This is coming just a few weeks after Elon Musk revealed plans to introduce call and video chats on X, similar to WhatsApp.
Mark Zuckerberg, the founder and CEO of Meta in a message on his verified Facebook page also believes it will give WhatsApp users extra value.
PAY ATTENTION: Follow us on Instagram - get the most important news directly in your favourite app!
“Excited to introduce you all to WhatsApp Channels, a new private way for you to get updates from people and organizations you follow. I’m starting this channel to share Meta news and updates."
WhatsApp Channel's key new features
- Enhanced Directory - Users can now find channels to follow that are automatically filtered based on their country. They can also view channels that are new, most active, and popular based on the number of followers.
- Reactions - Users can also react using emojis to give feedback and see a count of total reactions. How you react will not be shown to followers.
- Editing - While admins will be able to make changes to their Updates for up to 30 days, we will automatically delete them from our servers.
- Forwarding - Whenever you forward an Update to chats or groups, it will include a link to the channel so that people can find out more.
WhatsApp releases channel features for broadcast messages for organisations and businesses
Meanwhile, in another report, WhatsApp and Instagram have rolled out a broadcast-based messaging feature called Channels on WhatsApp, much like the recent update it announced on Instagram as it experiments with giving more conversational avenues to its users.
Channels will appear on the new WhatsApp feature in a new tab called Updates.