An explosion has reportedly rocked the market of Sabon Gari, Damboa, Borno state, today, August 11.
Based on the information reported initially, the the attack was launched by a suicide bomber. Many people are feared dead. More details are yet to be provided on the matter.
Sahara Reporters informs that at least 60 people were killed and 43 others were injured the explosion, according to an eyewitness and a vigilante source.
Another source, a youth vigilance member, Abdul Isa, told This Day that he counted 20 dead bodies, and 25 injured have been taken to health facilities.
Reuters news agency provide other numbers: killed at least 47 people and injured over 52 people, a military source told.
A member of the Civilian Joint Task Force, Babagana Iliya, said the device had been planted, but there was no suicide bomber:
"We heard loud explosions at about 01:35pm. When we arrived there people had scattered, it was not suicide bombers but it [the bomb] was planted at the center of the market."
According to a hospital source at General Hospital Biu, more than 40 people have been brought in from the scene of the blast.
Recall that only two days ago Boko Haram insurgents killed four and abducted two people on the Maiduguri-Damboa-Biu highway.
Meanwhile yesterday the Nigerian police managed to avert tragedy in Ibadan, Oyo state capital, where suspected Boko Haram terrorists had planted explosives.