Nigerian Military Court Sentences 54 Soldiers To Death

Nigerian Military Court Sentences 54 Soldiers To Death

A military court in Nigeria has ruled 54 soldiers to be executed by a firing squad after they were found guilty of mutiny, Premium Times reports.

The soldiers were convicted on December 17, 2014, Wednesday, in Abuja on a two count charge of criminal conspiracy to commit mutiny.

Four other soldiers were acquitted. The convicted soldiers, mostly the military men involved in the fight against the Boko Haram terrorists in Northeastern Nigeria, are to die on stakes, by a firing squad.

The group of convicts, who used to be attached to the 7 Division, Nigerian Army in Maiduguri, include two Corporals (Cpl) nine Lance Corporals (LCpl) and 49 Private soldiers.

The charge sheet said the soldiers conspired to commit mutiny against the authorities of the 7th Division on August 4, at the Mulai Primary School camp, opposite AIT Maiduguri, Borno State.

The soldiers are the second batch of Nigerian soldiers sentenced to death by the Nigerian Military courts for mutiny.

READ ALSO: Boko Haram Has Been Decimated - Air Force Boss

The trial of the soldiers, who allegedly disobeyed orders to join operations against the extremist group, Boko Haram, began on October 15. The accused soldiers pleaded not guilty to the charges.

J.E. Nwosu, the prosecutor, an army Captain, alleged that the accused soldiers had on August 4, in Maiduguri, refused to join the 111 Special Forces Battalion troops, commanded by Timothy Opurum, a Lieutenant Colonel for an operation.

Mr. Nwosu said the operation was meant to recapture Delwa, Bulabulin and Damboa in Borno State from the Boko Haram terrorists.

According to him, the offence is punishable under Section 52(1) (a) of the Armed Forces Act Cap A20 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.

The prosecution called the commander of the 111 Special Forces, Lt.Col. Opurum, as one of the witnesses.

Mr. Opurum, in his testimony in October, said the Special Forces were tasked to recapture Delwa to clear the way for other battalions to pass through to recapture Babulin and Damboa from the insurgents.

READ ALSO: Army Commander Writes A Powerful Letter To President Jonathan

He said he took off for the operation with only four officers and 29 soldiers as “tasked” after majority of the 174 soldiers in the unit refused to join the operation.

The witness said after he took charge of the Special Forces, he addressed and assured them that they could achieve the task given to them.

However, he said the soldiers were “hesitant to partake in the operation” in spite of the assurances.

Under cross examination by Femi Falana, who represented the accused soldiers, Mr. Opurum said 47 of the soldiers who initially refused, later re-joined the forces for another operation.

Mr. Opurum said the 47 soldiers joined, after he called for reinforcement, as they came under attack from terrorists, who out-numbered them and had superior weapons.

READ ALSO: How Much They Paid Me To Indict Sheriff As Boko Haram Sponsor – Suspect

When asked if the soldiers refused to fight or refused to join the operation because of lack of superior weapons, he said all units in the North-East had requested for weapons.

On the disciplinary measure taken against the 47 soldiers, who initially refused, he said the process for that was to begin when they were court-martialled.

Mr. Falana, in an oral application, asked to the court for the record of weapons recovered from the 47 soldiers, when they initially refused to join the operations.

It would be recalled that the General Court Martial was inaugurated on October 2. 97 soldiers, including 15 senior officers, were tried for various offenses allegedly committed in the counter-terrorism operation in the North-Eastern part of the country.


Online view pixel