64-year-old man who escaped prison 30 years ago returns, hands himself to police

64-year-old man who escaped prison 30 years ago returns, hands himself to police

  • A man who escaped from an Australian prison 30 years ago has handed himself over to police authorities
  • The man identified as Darko Desic reportedly escaped for fear of being deported to his native country, Yugoslavia
  • His neighbours launched a fundraiser to help the 64-year-old get a lawyer and raised over N1 million within two hours of setting it up

A man who spent almost 30 years on the run after escaping from prison has handed in himself to law enforcement officers.

Darko Desic allegedly used a hacksaw blade and bolt cutters to escape from an Australian Prison.

Darko Desic escaped from prison.
Darko Desic escaped from prison 30 years ago. He surrendered to the police. Photos: AFP.
Source: UGC

Prison break

The New South Wales Police force released a statement on Wednesday, September 15, indicating he broke out of prison on July 31, 1992.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Read also

53-year-old man arrested for hiring someone to end his life so his son could be given N4.1bn

The 64-year-old who escaped from prison aged 35 surrendered on September 12 and was arrested and charged with escape from lawful custody.

He appeared in court on Tuesday, and the next hearing is set for September 28.

According to 9News, Desic escaped from prison because he did not want to be deported to his native Yugoslavia. At that time, the country was embroiled in a civil war.

Losing home

According to reports, Desic opted to surrender after losing his job and, subsequently, his house due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Before surrendering to the cops, Desic was reportedly living on beaches in Sidney and doing odd jobs to make money.


After news of his surrender broke, his neighbours started a fundraiser to hire a lawyer for him, raising KSh 480,000 (N1,794,193.36) in less than two hours.

“He hasn't hurt anybody, has never put his hand out for government assistance and has been helping people in our community,” one of his neighbours said.

Read also

Gold toilet worth N2.7bn stolen 2 years ago is till missing, there's a reward of N56m for whoever sees it

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that two men who were wrongfully sentenced to life imprisonment regained their freedom after 17 years in prison.

Their release happened after new evidence emerged accusing the police of misconduct.

37-year-old Kevin Harrington and George Clark in his 50s said they got a life sentence for the crimes they never did. Both were charged with killing Micheal Martin in Inkster, Michigan.

When the men were released this month, they went straight into quarantine afterward

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel