COVID 19: FG Announces Vaccination of 440,000 Health Workers

COVID 19: FG Announces Vaccination of 440,000 Health Workers

- 440,000 health workers have received the COVID-19 vaccine in Nigeria so far

- Nigerian health authorities say a total of 1,929,237 Nigerians have also received the first dose of the vaccine

- Also, some Nigerians have started receiving the second dose of the vaccine according to the federal government

PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!

The federal government on Tuesday, May 25, announced that 440,000 health workers across the country have received the first dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine.

Speaking at the media briefing attended by Legit.ng in Abuja, the executive director of the National Primary Health Care Development Agency, NPHCDA, Faisal Shuaib said the population of the health workers vaccinated is 23 percent of Nigerians who have received the first dose.

According to Faisal, a total number of 1,929,237 Nigerians who represent 96 per cent of the target population have been administered the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.

Read also

Africa has not escaped COVID-19 - WHO DG warns as Okonjo-Iweala, President Kagame proffer solutions

Speaking on the completion of the COVID-19 vaccine doses, Faisal said 4,000 people have already had their second jab of the vaccines.

He also called on all those who have received their first doses to ensure they do not drop out of the process.

In his address, Peter Hawkins, a UNICEF representative in Nigeria said it is important to ensure that everyone is vaccinated against the deadly COVID-19 virus.

Hawkins said the UNICEF is working with the Federal Government of Nigeria and various stakeholders to ensure that vaccines get to the hard to reach areas across the country.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Hawkins said:

"Nobody is safe until everybody is vaccinated. We can not underestimate the steps taken and the challenges ahead."

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the World Health Organisation (WHO) has warned against the disregard for COVID-19 protocols.

Read also

Insecurity: FUNAAB students protest kidnap of colleague

The director-general of WHO, Tedros Ghebreyesus, said it is important to note that the continent has not escaped the deadly virus disease.

Ghebreyesus comments were supported by the DG of the World Trade Organisation, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, and the President of Rwanda, Paul Kwagame.

Also, the Nigerian government had declared 90 people - 63 Nigerians and 27 foreigners wanted for breaking the laid down COVID-19 protocol.

The secretary to the government of the federation, Boss Mustapha, said the individuals (travellers who had just arrived into the country) evaded the seven-days COVID-19 quarantine period.

Kagame said the African continent have been hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic which has had economic and social effect on Africa.

He also said the continent will continue in its resilience to ensure it partners with key stakeholders to survive the crisis.

For Okonjo-Iweala, there is need for Africa to harness its youth demographic make up to pursue it COVID-19 pandemic recovery process.

Source: Legit

Online view pixel