Coordinated Attacks: People Outside Southeast Want to Incite War in Igboland, Says Umahi
- Governor Dave Umahi says those attacking security personnel and facilities in the southeast are aliens
- The governor said there is a grand plan to use the attacks as a springboard to cause chaos in the region
- A retired military officer, however, shared his thoughts on how the mounting security situation can be tackled
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
Governor Dave Umahi of Ebonyi has stated that the recent attacks in the southeast were the handiwork of people outside the region.
Umahi who is also the chairman of the southeast governors' forum, said those planning the attacks want to incite Igbos into war.
He made the comments on Wednesday, April 14 while appearing on a breakfast show on Channels Television.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
“There are grand plans of people who have no interest in the southeast to incite war and they will step aside, and we are not going to buy into that. We are not going to be deceived again.
“Of late, we have bandits doing a lot of evil and say they are Eastern Security Network (ESN). They commit a lot of crimes and say they are IPOB and most of the time, IPOB will come and say we have no hand in this, we have no hands in that.
“We do not know which is which, but we have the mandate to protect the lives and properties of our people and we would not allow illegality to thrive in our land. Conflict will not resolve conflict.
“We governors are doing everything to manage the conflict to protect the lives of our people elsewhere. This is very important.”
Speaking on the recently created security outfit in the region, Governor Umahi said:
“What we are doing in the southeast is lawful; it is within the constitution; every of our five southeast states will have our security.
“Plans for a southeast security outfit had been there before now. What matters is that our people are satisfied that their lives and properties are protected.”
Reacting to the recent upsurge in insecurity in the southeast, a retired Nigerian Army officer, Major-General Chukwunedum Abraham, said security is everyone's business and should not be left only for security agencies to tackle.
He made the comment while speaking to Legit.ng recently at a dinner to honour retired military officers in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
“Security is everyone's business, but unfortunately, it has been left for the military. Everyone has to be up and doing because it is our lives that are at stake.
“I am very happy with the cooperation among the service chiefs and I believe that they are capable and they are going to do everything that is humanly possible to ensure that the security situation is brought to a manageable state so people can sleep with their two eyes closed.”
He also urged Nigerians to support the security agencies with information to help them track down criminal elements in society.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army warned that it will take decisive actions against individuals or groups attempting to compromise the territorial integrity of the country.
The warning was given by the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant-General Ibrahim Attahiru, in a statement posted by the army via its Facebook page.