- The federal government has blacklisted Kogi as authorities in the state have refused to acknowledge that coronavirus exists
- The government through the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 has declared that Kogi is a high-risk state
- Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi has consistently dismissed the existence of COVID-19 in Nigeria
The Cable is reporting that the federal government has classified Kogi as a high-risk state for COVID-19 because of its failure to acknowledge the existence of the disease, report tests or build isolation centres.
According to the report, the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, announced the classification on Monday, February 1, and warned Nigerians to beware of visiting the state.
Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi state has consistently dismissed the existence of COVID-19 in Nigeria sparking outrage among health professionals and many Nigerians.
Last year, officials of the National Center for Disease Control (NCDC) sent to ascertain the COVID-19 status of Kogi left the state after Governor Bello insisted they would be isolated and subjected to a COVID-19 test.
The officials of the NCDC had in a meeting with Governor Bello said they were sent to Kogi to assist the state in responding to the challenges posed by the pandemic.
Responding, Governor Bello said the state has resolved to comply with the protocols of the NCDC by putting the officials in quarantine for 14 days and take their samples to ensure they are COVID-19 free.
Recently, the secretariat of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) warned Governor Bello that COVID-19 is real and must be adequately tackled.
The NGF made the statement following Governor Bello's claim that COVID-19 vaccines are meant to kill people.
The director-general of the forum, Asishana Okauru, said all the state governors have been brainstorming to consider various strategies to counter the demarketing of the vaccines through public enlightenment.
Legit.ng had earlier listed 10 important facts from health experts concerning the COVID-19 vaccine.
Meanwhile, on Friday, January 15, the federal ministry of health released new protocols for religious centres to adhere to.
The protocols include 12 updated guidelines for religious gatherings to follow to minimise the spread of coronavirus.
Source: Legit Newspaper