- Efforts to send NCDC officials who visited Kogi state on isolation has been rejected
- The NCDC officials had visited Governor Yahaya Bello to ascertain the COVID-19 status of Kogi state
- The governor said the officials will be in quarantine for 14 days but the officials rejected the idea and returned to Abuja
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed
Officials of the National Center for Disease Control (NCDC) sent to ascertain the COVID-19 status of Kogi have left the state to avoid being sent on isolation and subjected to COVID-19 test.
The officials of the NCDC had in a meeting with Governor Yahaya Bello said they were sent to Kogi to assist the state in responding to the challenges posed by the pandemic.
Responding, Governor Bello thanked the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari and the Presidential Task Force for rising to the occasion. He said the world must unite to defeat the virus.
The governor reeled out the measures adopted by his government to curtail the spread of the virus in the state. He said the country must move out of the pandemic and provide structures for economic recovery.
He said he has decided to give full insurance to frontline health workers and also increase their hazard allowance from N30, 000 to N50,000 daily to encourage them to put in their best.
The governor, however, said the state has resolved to comply with the protocols of the NCDC by putting the officials in quarantine for 14 days and take their samples to ensure they are COVID-19 free.
The officials reportedly said they were not ready to be tested for COVID-19 and went back to Abuja.
Addressing journalists on the issue, the Kogi state commissioner for information and communication, Mr Kingsley Fanwo, said the NCDC should come hard on its officials for violating its rules.
His words: “NCDC quarantined the Chinese professionals that came to give them technical support and also took their samples for test. It is a normal practice and protocol set by NCDC.
“So NCDC will have a lot to explain as to why its officials refused to test for COVID-19. How can we be sure of their status? What are their fears? Why did NCDC sent people who are afraid of test to our state? What was their intention?
“The officials that came have done an integrity blow to the works of the NCDC. Is there something they are hiding? It is time NCDC opened up and apologize to the good people of Kogi state.”
Meanwhile, the Yobe state government has asked Nigerians to disregard a media report alleging COVID-19 related deaths in the state, declaring that no such case was recorded.
A media report had claimed that there were COVID-19 related deaths in the state recently.
However, a media aide to Yobe governor, Mamman Mohammed, said in a statement made available to journalists in Abuja on Thursday, May 7 said Yobe recorded its first case last week precisely on Thursday, April 30 and to date, “there is no officially declared COVID-19 related death in the state.”
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
The Nigerian government cannot handle this pandemic - Woman | Legit TV