COVID-19 second wave: Kwara govt declares partial lockdown, gives new directives

COVID-19 second wave: Kwara govt declares partial lockdown, gives new directives

- Kwara government on Wednesday, December 23, imposed restriction on movement in the state

- The new development was disclosed by the state commissioner for health, Raji Rasaq

- Rasaq said the partial lockdown became necessary over the second wave of COVID-19

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

In its efforts to curb the spread of COVID-19 among the people as the second wave of the virus beckons, the Kwara state government has imposed another lockdown in the state.

Punch reports that the restriction would start from 12 midnight and end by 4 am every day with effect from Thursday, December 24.

Legit.ng gathered that the lockdown was contained in the new guidelines on COVID-19 issued on Wednesday, December 23, by the State Technical Committee on COVID-19.

COVID-19 second wave: Kwara govt declares partial lockdown, gives new directives
The Kwara state governor, AbdulRahaman AbdulRazaq, said the partial lockdown was imposed to curb the spread of COVID-19. Credit: @RealAARahman
Source: Twitter

The state commissioner for health, Raji Rasaq, who also doubles as the vice-chairman of the Technical Committee on COVID-19 said there would be partial statewide lockdown between 12 am and 4 a.m. until further notice.

Read also

FG directs workers to work from home amid second wave of COVID-19 (here are levels affected)

He said:

“These new guidelines take effect from Thursday, December 24, 2020. Appropriate use of face mask in public places is mandatory. Concerts/carnivals/clubbing are not allowed until further notice. Worship centres are not to allow congregations exceeding 50% of the maximum capacity of the venue. This is to allow for physical distancing.
“Other gatherings (formal and informal) exceeding 50 people are disallowed. Again, proper use of face masks in public spaces is mandatory. Therefore, the protocol of ‘No face mask, no entry’ must apply at all public places."

The government asked all the civil servants to work from their homes, adding that only essential workers, especially in the health sector are exempted.

Rasaq added:

"Virtual meetings are encouraged. Transporters are to enforce all COVID-19 protocols, including proper use of face masks by drivers and passengers. Appropriate sanctions will apply to defaulters."

The commissioner further said that security agencies would deploy all lawful means to enforce these protocols, saying that defaulters are deemed to constitute dangers to public health.

Read also

Coronavirus: 4 things FG asked Nigerians to do as PTF gives fresh details on COVID-19

He noted:

“Provisions of the Kwara state Infectious Diseases Regulations 2020 shall apply to all offenders. There will be further communications on school resumption. These new guidelines are subject to reviews as situations dictate.”

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the federal government said that it is considering imposing a travel ban to and from certain countries, particularly the UK, over the new strain of the COVID-19 virus.

It was reported that the minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed, told Radio Nigeria on Tuesday, December 22, that the FG is waiting to get the concurrence of neighbouring countries before imposing the ban.

COVID-19: Is Nigeria ready for another lockdown | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng News

Online view pixel