Nigeria at risk of coronavirus resurgence over EndSARS protests, FG insists

Nigeria at risk of coronavirus resurgence over EndSARS protests, FG insists

- There will be a resurgence of coronavirus pandemic, the FG has declared

- The government attributed this to the gathering at EndSARS protest

- Going further, the FG said the pandemic has continued to escalate around the world

PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75,000 or N38,000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng

Following the EndSARS protest that rocked the country, the federal government has claimed that the risk of a resurgence of the COVID-19 pandemic in Nigeria is high.

This was disclosed on Monday, October 26, by Boss Mustapha, chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19.

He said:

“Also, the large gatherings witnessed during the protests and during the break-ins at various warehouses, homes and looting of stores put us at a great risk of resurgence of the virus."

He said that the global pandemic situation had continued to escalate, with the cumulative number of infections crossing the 43 million mark.

Read also

NCDC announces 119 new coronavirus infections, 2 deaths as cases in Nigeria now 62,111

“In the last 20 hours, 4,498 deaths were reported from 96 countries and territories worldwide, with Europe (France, Italy, and UK) accounting for 30 per cent (1,358 deaths).
“ Africa has recorded a cumulative total case count of 1,727,887 including 41,323 deaths.
“Nigeria maintains the 5th position in highest cumulative cases after South Africa, Morocco, Egypt, and Ethiopia."
Nigeria risks resurgence of coronavirus over EndSARS protest, FG says
Boss Mustapha, chairman of PTF On COVID-19, said the risk of resurgence in Nigeria is high. Credit: Premium Times
Source: UGC

In another development, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos state said that those behind the shootings of protesters at the Lekki toll plaza on Tuesday, October 20, would be brought to book.

Legit.ng reports that the governor made this known in a statement by his chief press secretary, Gboyega Akosile, on the evening of Monday, October 26.

The statement quoted the governor as speaking during an interview session on CNN, adding that the federal government and Lagos state government would ensure that anyone found culpable in the shooting would be held accountable for their actions.

Read also

Breaking: Sanwo-Olu spits fire, says those behind Lekki shootings will be held accountable

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the minister of works and housing, Babatunde Fashola discovered a camera at the Lekki tollgate some days after some protesters were shot at by security operatives.

Fashola was reported to have discovered the camera on Sunday, October 25, during an on-the-spot assessment at the tollgate.

The minister allegedly picked up the device with a handkerchief and handed it over to Governor Sanwo-Olu for forensic analysis and further investigation.

What’s the best punishment for erring SARS officers? | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel