Lekki shootings: Governors must demand withdrawal of soldiers now - Soyinka

Lekki shootings: Governors must demand withdrawal of soldiers now - Soyinka

- Professor Wole Soyinka has reacted to the shooting of some EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate

- Some soldiers had on Tuesday, October 20, opened fire on the protesters in the area

- Soyinka said it was absolutely essential to let the government know that the Army had now replaced SARS

PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75,000 or N38,000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng

The Nobel laureate in literature, Professor Wole Soyinka has condemned the shootings and killing of some EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate on Tuesday, October 20.

PM News reports that he asked the state governors where the federal government has deployed military to quell protests to demand their withdrawals now to avoid further escalation of the crisis.

Legit.ng gathered that Soyinka lamented that the tension in the land had become unimaginable, adding that the extra-judicial killing in Lagos state has drenched the Nigerian flag in the blood of innocents.

Read also

BREAKING: Chaos, fear as youths set ablaze Sanwo-Olu's family house, BRT buses

Lekki shootings: Governors must demand withdrawal of soldiers now - Soyinka
The Nobel laureate in literature, Professor Wole Soyinka, observing a court proceeding. Source: Legit.ng
Source: UGC

He said:

“At that earlier mention Lagos sector, Lekki, where most of the affirmative action gatherings had taken place, soldiers opened fire on unarmed demonstrators, killing and wounding a yet undetermined number. One such extra-judicial killing has drenched the Nigerian flag in the blood of innocents – and not symbolically.
“The video has, in accustomed parlance, ‘gone viral’. I have spoken by phone to eye-witnesses. One, a noted public figure has shared his first-hand testimony on television. The government should cease to insult this nation with petulant denials.”

Soyinka said it was absolutely essential to let this government know that the Army had now replaced SARS in the demonic album of the protesters.

The academic giant said his enquiry so far indicated that the Lagos Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu did not invite in the Army and did not complain of a ‘breakdown in law and order’.

Soyinka added:

“Nevertheless, the Centre had chosen to act in an authoritarian manner and had inflicted a near incurable wound on the community psyche.

Read also

Lekki shootings: I will never be part of any carnage, Tinubu finally reacts

“Need I add that, on arrival in Abeokuta, my home town, I again had to negotiate a roadblock? That went smoothly enough. I expected it, and have no doubt that more are being erected as this is being written."

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Governor Sanwo-Olu apologised to the residents of Lagos state following the shooting of peaceful protesters at Lekki toll gate on Tuesday, October 20, by security operatives.

It was reported that Sanwo-Olu said when the state government imposed a 24-hour curfew on Lagos state and the youths defied the directives, there was no leader of the protesting group to talk to.

What’s the best punishment for erring SARS officers? | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel