- Governor Obaseki has said that his convoy was attacked during his electioneering campaigns
- The governor said the attacks happened at Oshiomhole's ward in Etsako West local government
- Obaseki, however, accused Oshiomhole of trying to stop his re-election
Less than five weeks to the Edo governorship election, Governor Godwin Obaseki has accused his predecessor and former national chairman of All Progressives Congress (APC), Adams Oshiomhole, of sponsoring attacks against him.
Obaseki said on Thursday, August 13, that his convoy was attacked at ward 10, Apana, Etsako West local government area of the state, where Oshiomhole hails.
In a statement issued by Crusoe Osagie, his spokesman, on his behalf, Obaseki said the suspected thugs behind the attack were dislodged by a combined team of security personnel and vigilante groups.
The statement said that the deputy governor, Philip Shaibu, alighted from his vehicle and chased the attackers.
It also said that a female police officer, who was caught recording the footage of the incident, was attacked.
Addressing members of PDP and supporters at Apana village square, Obaseki alleged that Oshiomhole had made several attempts to scuttle his re-election.
He said the forthcoming poll would determine who would take charge of the levers of power in Edo politics.
“As we were coming here (village square in Apana), you heard what happened. They went to hire thugs and began to shoot to prevent us from coming here. On September 19, use your permanent voter card (PVC) to ‘pepper them’.
“Ward 10 is a special ward. This election is special. It will show who is in charge of politics in Edo State. For all my eight years in government, you know what I did for Comrade Oshiomhole. He said it with his mouth. I supported him to be the governor. I raised funds for him. I worked for him and Edo state for eight years without receiving a dime,” he said.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that an alleged plot to return Oshiomhole as the national chairman of the APC was uncovered by a chieftain of the party, Salihu Lukman.
It was reported that Lukman who is the director-general of Progressive Governors Forum (PGF), claimed there were moves to undermine the caretaker committee to achieve the goal ahead of the party’s national convention.
Lukman in a letter to the caretaker committee said the plot is being hatched to use the Edo governorship poll to bully APC leaders to submission.
In another report, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) disclosed that it has shelved the idea of suspending the Edo governorship election after political parties complied with its notice over threats of violence.
Festus Okoye, INEC's national commissioner for information and chairman of voter education, made the disclosure on Wednesday, August 12, on Channels TV.
We'll isolate Wike in an isolation center - Ganduje | - on Legit TV