- Maiduguri, the capital city of Borno state has reportedly been rocked with at least two bomb blasts
- It is currently unclear if Boko Haram insurgents are behind the blasts
- The incident is coming barely 24 hours after suspected Boko Haram insurgents attacked the convoy of Governor Zulum
A report by The Cable states that there have been at least two bomb blasts within Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, within 10 minutes.
The newspaper reports that a resident said the first blast occurred at Gunge, a residential area, around 6pm.
A security source cited by the newspaper said the other blast happened around a place where cars are sold in the state capital.
It is unclear if Boko Haram insurgents are behind the bomb blasts.
Legit.ng, however, notes that the latest bomb blasts are happening 24 hours after the convoy of the Borno state governor, Babagana Zulum, was attacked in Kukawa local government area of the state.
Reacting to the attack on his convoy, Zulum had said he would mobilise hunters to protect the people if the military is unable to secure them.
“We have over 1,181 soldiers in Baga; 72 officers, 107 solders, 400 soldiers in mile 4 and 1,900 soldiers in Monguno. I see no reason why Boko Haram will stop operate in Baga town,” he had said.
The Nigerian Army has, however, released a statement vowing to deal with the perpetrators of the attack who are suspected to be Boko Haram terrorists.
Reacting to the incident on Thursday, July 30, army spokesperson, Sagir Musa, said details of the incident were still sketchy and under investigation.
The statement reads partly: “The convoy of the governor of Borno State, Prof Babagana Zulum, came under Boko Haram terrorists fire while visiting Baga town on the 29th of July 2020.
"The executive governor had earlier paid a visit to the Commander, 19 Brigade at the Nigerian Army Super Camp, Baga, where he was fully briefed about the prevailing security situation in the general area.
"The unfortunate incident occurred shortly after the governor and his entourage departed the Super Camp to visit other parts of Baga town. The incident forced the governor to abort his planned movement to Baga."
Musa said efforts are already ongoing "to comb the area where the incident occurred with a view to track down and deal decisively with the attackers."
"An investigation is also in progress to identify the circumstances that led to the attack," the spokesman said.
Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters?| Legit TV