- The misunderstanding between Festus Keyamo and some Nigerian lawmakers seems to have no end in sight
- The minister of state for labour and employment has said that he will remain steadfast in carrying out his duty
- Keyamo stressed that the creation of 774,000 jobs is for all Nigerians
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
After a rowdy session with some senators on Tuesday, June 30, Festus Keyamo, the minister of state for labour and employment, has spoken again on his position.
There has been an argument between Keyamo and some lawmakers over issues linked with the creation of 774,000 jobs under the National Directorate of Employment (NDE).
In a fresh statement in which he maintained his position, the minister said that no politician or person in the country can stop him from carrying out the task given to him by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Keyamo in a tweet later on Tuesday described the opportunity to serve in this capacity as a rare privilege.
He said: "Except Mr. President, who appointed and gave me the opportunity and rare privilege to drive this programme stops me, no other political leader or person can stop me. I am answerable only to Mr. President. This programme is for all Nigerians."
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that Keyamo had cried out, noting that he was being blackmailed and pressurized by some politicians to enable them to dictate who got a slot among the 774,000 jobs.
Keyamo during the inauguration of the selection committee on Monday, June 29, revealed that there had been attempts to blackmail him to see certain political leaders determine who would get a slot.
He explained that he would not sacrifice his reputation by going beyond the 10% to 15% that was allocated to political officers, noting that nobody can dictate to him.
The minister while stressing that the majority of the jobs must be allotted to people who need them, added that it is only the president who appointed him that could make him do otherwise.
The minister appealed to the committee chairmen not to allow politicians to hijack the programme and warned that anyone caught would be replaced immediately.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that The federal government had given an update about its plan to employ at 1,000 persons from each of the 774 local government areas in the country.
Keyamo announced on Thursday, May 28, at a press conference that the employment initiative would start by October 1.
N-Power Project: I Graduated in 2005 and Have Been Unemployed Before N-Power Fixed Me Up Legit TV