Super Eagles stars could boycott Sierra Leone game due to Coronavirus

Super Eagles stars could boycott Sierra Leone game due to Coronavirus

- Super Eagles game with Sierra Leone could see some top Nigerian stars based in Europe not attend the game

- There have been travel bans placed in some European countries due to the spread of the Coronavirus

- However, the teams' media officer Toyin Ibitoye has stated that preparation is still in place for players to show up

Super Eagles AFCON qualifier against Sierra Leone on March 27, at the Stephen Keshi Stadium in Asaba, could be boycotted by foreign players, cited on The Guardian.

Due to the spread of the Coronavirus around Europe, there has been some travelling restrictions placed in some countries which could affect Nigeria players coming to represent the three-time African champions.

Most of the Nigerian players selected for the AFCON fixture are based in Europe play in Germany, England, France, Italy, Spain and Portugal.

Media Officer to the team Toyin Ibitoye said that the situation is being monitored by the government and the NFF and players' travelling logistics will be known in the coming week.

Davido postpones A Good Time Tour in North America as coronavirus spreads

Confederation of African Football (CAF) have stated that all AFCON qualifiers should be played and Ibitoye stressed that preparations for the Sierra Leone game is still in top gear.

He added that Super Eagles manager, Gernot Rohr would be in the country to prepare the team for the match.

“There are travel bans in some countries to protect their citizens from being affected with Covid-19. Some of the invited Super Eagles players for the AFCON game play football in these countries. So, the NFF is closely watching events to ensure everything is alright ahead of the AFCON tie.

“CAF has already given the nod for the qualifier to take place. As events unfolds, the necessary information would be put across on the situation with the foreign-based players,” he said.

PAY ATTENTION: Become a member of the leading sports Facebook group 'Naija Football Fan'

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had earlier reported that Odion Ighalo signed a six-month deal when he joined Man United in the January transfer window without a possible extension, cited on Evening Standard.

Coronavirus: Buhari's ministers undergo screening by NCDC official over scare of disease (photos)

But things could take a new twist as United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has hinted that the club needs the qualities of the Nigerian striker next season.

The former Watford striker was in superb form when the Red Devils eased past Austrian side LASK by 5-0 in the Europa League last 16 first leg tie.

Sports Bants: NFF launches new Super Eagles jersey, is it the best ever? | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng News

Tags:
Online view pixel