The Oppo Reno 3 Pro 5G and Oppo Reno 3 were launched as an upgrade to the Reno 2 series. The Pro's AMOLED display with a 90 Hz refresh rate is a major upgrade that improves its overall performance. Its overall design and premium finish makes it stand out and might be the blueprint for phones to be released in 2020. Is it worth the upgrade?
Here are some of the pros and cons to look out for before settling for the phone.
- It has a sleek design
- It is 5G enabled
- Comes with AMOLED display with a 90 Hz refresh rate
- Has a quad-camera (main camera) set up that takes beautiful and clear shots and videos
- The battery is 30W fast charging
- The front and back screen is protected with a Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Does not have a 3.5 mm jack
- It lacks a card slot for additional storage
Oppo Reno 3 Pro 5G specs
Have a look at the key details and specifications of the device.
- Release date: December 26, 2019
- Dimensions: 159.4 x 72.4 x 7.7 mm(6.28 x 2.85 x 0.30 in)
- Weight: 171 g(6.03z)
- Build: Glass front and back, protected with Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- SIM: Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand by)
- Display type: AMOLED capacitive touchscreen
- Color depth: 16M
- Size: 6.5 inches, 89.7% screen to body ratio
- Resolution: 1080 x 2400 pixels, 20:9
- Operating system: Android 10; ColorOS 7
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM765 Snapdragon 765G (7 nm)
- CPU: Octa-core (1x2.4 GHz Kryo 475 Prime & 1x2.2 GHz Kryo 475 Gold & 6x1.8 GHz Kryo 475 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 620
- Card slot: Not available
- Internal memory: 128GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM, UFS 2.1
- Main quad-camera: 48 MP(wide), f/1.7, PDAF, OIS; 13 MP(telephoto), f/2.4, PDAF, 2x optical zoom; 8 MP(ultra-wide), f/2.2; 2 MP, f/2.4, B/W
- Features: Dual-LED flash, HDR, panorama
- Video resolution: 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30/60fps; gyro-EIS, OIS
- Selfie camera: 32 MP, f/2.4, 26mm (wide), HDR
- Video: 1080p@30fps
- Loudspeaker: Available with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm jack: Not available
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, Wi-Fi direct, dual-band, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.1, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- GPS: Available with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, BDS
- NFC: Available
- USB: 3.1, Type-C reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- Sensors: Fingerprint, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Battery: 4025 mAh non-removable Li-Po battery
- Charging: Fast charger 30W (VOOC Flash Charge 4.0)
- Colors: Black, White, Starry Night, Sunrise
- Models: PCRM00,PCRT00
The Oppo Reno 3 Pro 5G price will vary depending on the variant and the stores you will purchase from.
The Oppo Reno 3 Pro 5G features the following hardware details.
The design of this device is similar to that of Realme X2 Pro and One Plus 7 Pro. It has a sleek design with a thickness of 7.7 mm. It fits comfortably on the hand and also feels lighter than most phones as it weighs 171g only. It has an aluminium build with the front and back made of glass. It is protected with a Corning Gorilla Glass 5. The phone has smoothly curved edges and a flat top and bottom.
The back houses the quad-camera array that is vertically placed on the left. The top and bottom bezels are thin, which largely increases the viewing frame. The punch hole is relatively tiny and is not a bother during the viewing of videos and movies. The SIM tray, USB C port, and speaker are located at the bottom while the volume rockers are placed on the left side.
The phone comes with an AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with a 90 Hz refresh rate. User experience with such a refresh rate is top-notch. It has a maximum brightness of 800 nits, which enhances the overall look of images and colours.
The 6.5-inch display screen has thin top and bottom bezels, leaving one with a whole 89.7% screen to body ratio. The display resolution is 1080 x 2400 pixels, with an aspect ratio of 20:9. It has a pixel density of 402 PPI.
Processor, storage, and performance
The device runs on a Qualcomm SDM765 Snapdragon 765G chipset. It comes inbuilt with an octa-core CPU, supported with an Adreno 620 GPU. The graphics processor is fast and rarely experiences slowdowns or buffering, especially during PUBG gaming. It does not experience heating during intense gaming sessions. The combination of the Snapdragon chipset and Adreno 620 enhance the overall performance of the device.
The phone comes in two variants, 128GB/ 8GB RAM and 256GB/12GB RAM. With such amounts of internal memory, there is no need for external storage. For this, it does not come with a microSD slot.
The battery that comes with the Oppo Reno 3 Pro 5G is a bit lower than other phones in the same price range. It comes with a 4025 mAh Li-Po non-removable battery that can give you up to 12 hours of screen time. Luckily enough, it is fast charging (30W), which means you will get to full charge in less than an hour. The use of the Snapdragon 765G chipset also highly improves battery life.
Speaker and call quality
The device comes with dual speakers that have loud and clear sounds. It, however, does not have a 3.5mm jack for your headphone and external audio devices with a cord. Dolby Atmos Sound technology allows the sound to be distributed throughout the phone. Even with the speakers located at the bottom, the sound is balanced, loud, and clear.
What software is packed into this device?
OS and features
The phone is built to run on Android 10 with ColorOS 7. The application icons are minimalist and with easy to toggle notifications. It supports significant connectivity features like Wi-Fi, dual-band, hotspot, Bluetooth, and NFC.
It also features an under-display fingerprint scanner that is fast responding. Some of its other sensors include accelerometer, gyro, proximity, and compass.
Camera, video and image quality
Oppo is known for its capable camera lenses that take top-notch shots. What are the camera features for this one? Oppo Reno 3 Pro 5G features a quad-camera set up and a 32 MP selfie camera. The dual-led flash, panorama, and HDR features enhance the quality of images and videos captured.
The first is a 48 MP, f/1.7 (wide) primary camera. It comes with the PDAF(Phase-Detect Autofocus Feature) and OIS(Optical Image Stabilization) feature to ensure the sharpness of the image is well captured. Pictures taken with this lens are well lit with excellent detail.
The 13 MP, f/2.4 telephoto camera also has the PDAF feature and 2x optical zoom. The 8MP ultrawide camera has an f/2.2 aperture. Shots taken with this camera cover a wider area and the clarity is at an acceptable level, especially under natural light. The other one is a 2 MP black and white camera with an f/2.4 aperture.
The 32 MP selfie camera has an aperture of f/2.4 and a 26mm (wide) angle. Portrait shots captured with it have deep colour concentration and detail.
Videos taken by the main camera can be taken with a resolution of either 2160p@30fps or 1080p@30/60fps. The sound quality and stability of the video shots are quite notable.
Oppo Reno 3 Pro 5G reviews
Before you can decide whether or not the phone is worth buying, check out some of the reactions left on the comment section of Frankie Tech's YouTube video.
- Abr.K: Well I think oppo phones are really durable and has a good sense of creating value
- Teddy Rosales: OMG this is a really awesome phone on every specs my goodness
- Jimmy Ostrom: That seems like a solid all-rounder of a phone…but I love the red color of this phone its crazy beautiful but this blue color was also amazing
- Tony summerfield: Brilliant device, its nice to see a good mid range snapdragon in this, the note 10 pro/cc9 pro should be used.
- Narukiko: This phone is absolutely gorgeous. But no headphone jack is a big deal-breaker for me
Oppo Reno 3 Pro 5G accessories
You will expect to get the following accessories once you unbox the device.
- User guide
- Type-C USB cable
- Power adapter
- Headphones (cord-less)
- SIM ejection tool
The Oppo Reno 3 Pro 5G has fantastic specs, and its sleek design makes it look more premium. The AMOLED display, fast responding under-display fingerprint scanner, and the powerful Snapdragon 765G chipset make it an outstanding flagship device by Oppo. The fact that there is no card slot for additional storage is a downside, even though the storage provided is more than enough. Overall, Oppo outdid themselves with this elegant mid-range device.
If you love a well-polished device with a powerful processor, then this device best suits you. Do you think the Oppo Reno 3 Pro 5G is worth the upgrade?