Shehu Sani, a rights activist and former senator who represented Kaduna Central in the eight National Assembly, has commended the federal government over its response to the xenophobic attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.
Sani, in a tweet posted on Thursday, September 5, however, urged the government to sustain the actions taken so far.
He also called on the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to take a clear position on Xenophobia.
The former lawmaker also urged the African Union (AU) to draft a new convention on Xenophobia "to protect Africans in Africa".
Similarly, Sani recommended that the African Court of Justice "should be enabled and empowered to have the jurisdiction of summoning and trying all persons, whether in or out of government involved in or encouraging xenophobic violence".
According to him, "this will remove the 'nationalistic shield' around the perpetrators".
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the federal government condemned the renewed attacks on Nigerians and other foreign nationals and their businesses in South Africa which has led to the loss of lives and properties worth millions of Naira.
In a communique by spokesperson to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ferdinand Nwonye, the Nigerian government said it is engaging the relevant South African authorities via the Nigerian High Commission in Pretoria, Consulate General in Johannesburg and Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Abuja to ensure that definite measures are put in place to curtail the unfortunate attacks.
However, owing to the tension created by the attacks, the federal government has advised Nigerians to avoid travelling to high risk and volatile areas until the situation is brought under control.
Nwonye in his statement assured Nigerians that that the government is committed to protecting the lives and properties of Nigerians in South Africa.
The minister of foreign affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, also on Wednesday, September 4, confirmed Nigeria’s boycott of the World Economic Forum scheduled for South Africa.
Onyeama said President Muhammadu Buhari agreed with Vice President Yemi Osinbajo not to go to South Africa under the climate of xenophobic attacks.
The foreign affairs minister also stressed that red line had been drawn against South Africa.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.
Nigerians protest against xenophobia - on Legit TV