Gun battle in Osogbo

Gun battle in Osogbo

There was stampede in Osogbo, the Osun State capital for several hours yesterday, following a failed attempt by a gang of armed robbers to raid the branch of a new genaration bank in the town. The incident led to the closure of shops and  paralyzed commercial activities in the state capital for several hours.  

Armed robbers had between 12 noon and 1.00pm stormed the bank located at the ever busy Gbongan/Ibadan Road, Osogbo but failed to gain entry into the banking hall due to efforts of the security agencies in the area and those attached to the bank.

It was gathered that both the robbers and Police officers exchanged gun fire for about an hour, during which an unidentified police officer was injured. Although the state of the Police officer could not be ascertained as at the time of filing this report, unconfirmed report however had it that the Police officer later gave up in the hospital he was rushed to.

According to eyewitnesses, the armed robbers stormed the bank in a black Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV) and a Nissan Primera car  and attempted to gain entrance into the banking hall, but were prevented by  security agents attached to the bank. 

It was further learnt that men of the State Security Services (SSS) joined the police in the effort to prevent them from gaining access into the banking hall.  The robbers, it was gathered, after several aborted efforts, fled, shooting sporadically as they moved. Commercial transporters and other motorists plying the Gbongan/Ibadan Road hurriedly vacated the busy road yesterday for fear of being attacked by the robbers, just as the road that led to the state secretariat was barricaded as police mounted a roadblock during the period.

Hours after the incident ended, Police officers were still seen parading major parts of Osogbo, shooting sporadically into the air. Efforts to get the reaction of the Police, however, failed as the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) for the state Police Command, Mrs. Folashade Odoro said she was in a meeting with the state Commissioner of Police when contacted on phone.


Online view pixel