Abdominal fat is among the biggest reasons for many workout routines today. Many people all over the world are learning how to reduce belly fat using the most effective methods and products to achieve the envied flat tummy look. Losing belly fat is not particularly easy and requires making changes in terms of diet, lifestyle and alcohol intake. However, the results of an effective flat tummy routine are well worth the pain.
It is relatively hard to target specific body parts for weight loss. There are numerous guides out there on how to reduce belly fat. What many do not mention is that you need to prepare for general body weight and fat loss.
It is also worth noting that abdominal falls into two categories, subcutaneous fat and visceral fat. Visceral fat forms around organs while subcutaneous fat forms under the skin. There are various easy steps on how to have flat tummy that anyone can try in the comfort of their home.
What causes the formation of belly fat?
- Excessive alcohol intake. The most well-known effects of alcohol include liver problems and inflammation. Some lesser-known ones include weight gain and obesity. When learning how to get rid of belly fat, keep in mind that studies show a significant relationship between alcohol consumption and belly fat, especially in males.
- Genetics. There is some scientific evidence that points towards a role played by genetics in obesity. Some genes can affect basic behaviour, metabolic patterns and the predisposition to lifestyle diseases.
- Inadequate body exercises and diet. When a person consumes more calories than they can burn off, the excess is reserved as fat. Leading an inactive lifestyle makes it reasonably hard to shed off excess weight, especially around the belly.
- Stress. When a person is under stress, their body produces a hormone called Cortisol to help combat the pressure. One downside is that the hormone affects metabolism. This slowed metabolism causes excess calories to remain in the body in the form of fat, especially around the belly. Exercise is particularly important to those who resort to food as a solution for stress.
- Smoking. While smoking may not be a direct cause of obesity, scientists have found that smokers tend to have more visceral fat than nonsmokers. This makes smoking a risk factor.
- Poor and imbalanced diet. Foods containing very high levels of sugar such as sweet, cakes and carbonated soft drinks are a significant cause of subcutaneous fat. These fats lead to rapid weight gain while slowing metabolism leading to a build-up of fat. Foods containing few or no proteins also lead to the formation of fat since they encourage more frequent feeding.
- Inadequate sleep. Studies have shown that lack of good quality sleep can harm a person’s health. Short durations of sleep have a direct impact on weight gain and the formation of excess body fat. Sleep deprivation can also encourage excessive eating, which in turn causes rapid development of visceral and subcutaneous fat.
How to reduce belly fat
A combination of diet, exercise and lifestyle changes will help you get rid of unsightly belly fat quite effectively. Here are the top steps to take.
How to lose belly fat through walking
Walking is said to be the most natural entry into a workout routine. Start with a twenty-minute daily walk and keep increasing each day. A regular walking routine is of particular importance to people who have been out of the gym for significantly longer. Some journals have found that those who walk daily have substantially lower visceral fat than those who do not.
You should start small then increase as you grow into a routine. One of the biggest mistakes in all workout routines involves wanting to do too much too soon. Once you feel comfortable, move into a more challenging terrain and walk longer.
Make use of strength training routines
Strength training exercises target fat loss throughout the body without focusing on specific parts. You will realize that such activities will be more effective in losing belly fat than routines that promise to target the belly. Strength training helps the body build muscle and replace fat. The amount of energy used in these exercises also helps burn calories even after the routines.
When the body achieves higher metabolism due to muscle formation, fat development slows down significantly. Similar to other forms of exercise, you should begin small and increase the frequency as your body adapts. Begin with lifting light weights twice a week and gradually increase the weight and rate with time.
Eat proteins before exercising
Proteins are best known for helping repair damages caused to body tissues during strength training and other activities such as a regular exercise for flat tummy. When learning how to burn tummy fat, one often-forgotten fact is that proteins help to keep you feeling fuller for a longer time.
Most people work out then head straight to a food outlet. This causes the intake of more calories than those burnt and potential formation of belly fat. You should aim for around 70 grams of proteins each day.
Make use of exercises for flat tummy
It is near impossible to target fat loss to a specific body part such as the belly. However, it is easier to focus on muscle development in a particular body part. Abs exercises target the abdomen and help build lean muscle that, in turn, leads to significant loss of fat. You should begin with basic abs routines thrice a week on alternating days. Are you worried about how to get flat tummy at home? The most basic moves include bicycle crunches and planks. These exercises help tighten the abdomen and in the process, reduce subcutaneous fat around the belly.
There are many abs routines that you can do from the comfort of your home. This will help you reduce costs associated with expensive gym memberships.
How to lose belly fat naturally through yoga
Stress affects various body parts adversely. How one chooses to deal with stressful situations determines how well they can achieve their weight loss goals. One of the worst responses to stress is emotional eating. This is, in essence, turning to food as a temporary solution to stressing situations. Excessive calories intake without a means of burning them causes rapid fat build-up, especially around the belly.
It is advisable to look for permanent solutions such as yoga, therapy and conversations as stress relievers.
How to burn belly fat by getting adequate sleep
Your sleeping pattern plays a huge role in the success of a weight loss program. Excessive sleep is bad, but inadequate sleep is worse. Studies have found that people who do not sleep adequately eat more calories the following day as compared to those who enjoyed sufficient sleep. The choice of food for sleep-deprived people also tends to include more fatty foods.
You are advised to get around seven to eight hours of sleep each night. Less sleeping hours open up opportunities to make poor feeding decisions that can affect your weight loss goals adversely.
READ ALSO: How to lose weight in two days
Reduce alcohol intake
Beverages contain high sugar content as well as lots of empty calories. If you are looking to burn belly fat, you need to cut down on your alcohol intake. There is a behavioural side to this as well. Frequent drinking reduces the body’s ability to inhibit food cravings drops significantly. You will have a tough time avoiding some foods once you are have had a bottle or two.
Cook your meals
Keep in mind that eating home-made meals is only advantageous if you cook the right foods. Studies have shown that people who take more home-made meals are less likely to have excess body fat as compared to their counterparts who eat takeouts. This can be attributed to the lifestyle behaviour common among people who cook their meals.
Additionally, the studies found that home-made meals had more fruit content and were prepared using healthier methods than non-home meals.
READ ALSO: Best herbs for weight loss in Nigeria
How to burn belly fat naturally with a low-carb diet
Scientific studies have proved that low-carb diets are more effective for weight loss than low-fat diets. One should compensate for reduced carbs intake with increased protein intake. This ensures that the amount of food intake remains the same, but the calories that cause fat development are significantly reduced.
A proper low-carb diet should contain about sixty grams of carbohydrates per day. Keep in mind that this is a radical diet change and can have significant side effects. Visit a doctor before starting a low-carb diet, especially if you have a pre-existing medical condition.
If you are learning how to reduce belly fat, then this guide starts you off on the easiest way to achieve your desired flat tummy. Keep in mind that most of the steps mentioned above need to be taken simultaneously to avoid counter-effects. A well laid-out lifestyle, diet and psychological adjustment will make your weight loss goals come to pass.
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written for general information. Do not substitute it for professional help or rely on it to make decisions. All actions and decisions taken based on information provided in this article will be at your own risk!