The 20th edition of Ghana Music Awards attracted big names and celebrities in African music where several artists and producers received honours for their impressive work over the past year. The annual event was held on the night on the 18th of May, 2019 and took place at Accra International Conference Center (AICC), Ghana.
Top celebrities in the music industry from Ghana and Africa all gathered and graced the red carpet to witness eventual winners in each category of the annual Vodafone Ghana Music Awards festival. The two hotly contested fields were 'Artist of the Year' and the 'Artist of the Decade.' There were more than 20 categories each with a list of nominees contesting for the top prizes.
Ghana Music Awards 2019 happenings
One would easily notice the variety of fashion displayed by Ghanaian movie and music stars to add more colour to the event. There was also a significant share of excitement, cheers and tears throughout the event. The ceremony was, however, halted for more than twenty minutes following a confrontation between Ghana's top musicians Stoneboy and Shatta Wale. Things later resumed to normal after calm restored.
Ghana Music Awards 2019 performances
Guests and fans at large enjoyed amazing performances from several musicians including Sarkodie, Samini, and Kuami Eugene. Other musicians who also performed in the event are KiDi, King Promise, Kwesi Arthur, Medikal, Efya, Adina, Amakye Dede, Sidney, and Burna Boy. Presenters of the day were TV 3's Giovanni Caleb and Sika Osei who also entertained the audience with great fun.
READ ALSO: Top 10 trending Sarkodie songs of all time
Ghana Music Awards 2019 winners
Ghana's prominent artist Sarkodie quickly walked away with the Artist of the Decade award beating fellow nominees. On the other hand, Stonebwoy was awarded the dancehall reggae artist of the year for the fifth consecutive time, ahead of his musical rival, Shatta Wale.
Ghana Music Awards 2019 list of winners
Here is the full list of winners of Ghana Music Awards titles in various categories:
- Traditional Artiste of the Year – Kwan Pa
- Instrumentalist of the Year – Mizter Okyere
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Dr Rev Mrs Mary Ghansah
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Obuoba J.A. Adofo
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Prof Kofi Abraham
- Unsung Artiste of the Year – Kula
- Gospel Song of the Year – Diana Hamilton for 'Mo Ne Yo'
- High-life Song of the Year – Shatta Wale for 'My Level'.
- Reggae/Dancehall Song of the Year – Shatta Wale for 'Gringo'
- Hiphop Song of the Year – Kwesi Arthur for 'Anthem'
- Hiplife Song of the Year – 'Obiaa Wone Master' by Yaa Pono feat Stonebwoy
- Afropop Song of the Year – 'Akwaaba' by Guilty Beatz feat Mr Eazi, Pappy Kojo and Patapaa
- Gospel Artiste of the Year – Diana Hamilton
- Highlife Artiste of the Year – Kuami Eugene
- Hiplife/Hiphop Artiste of the Year – Medikal
- Reggae/Dancehall Artiste of the Year – Stonebwoy
- Music Video of the Year – 'Come and See My Moda' by MzVee feat Yemi Alade
- Best Collaboration of the Year – 'Kpoo Keke' by Stonebwoy feat Medikal, Kwesi Arthur, Darko Vibes & Kelvyn Boy
- Record of the Year – 'Hye Me Bo' by Akwaboah
- Songwriter of the Year – King Promise for 'CCTV'
- Producer of the Year – Kuami Eugene
- Sound Engineer of the Year – Francis Osei for Akwaboah's 'Sh3 Me Bo'
- African Artiste of the Year – Burna Boy
- Rapper of the Year – Medikal
- Best African collaboration – 'Akwaaba' by Guilty Beats feat Mr Eazi, Patapaa & Pappy Kojo
- Best Group of the Year – Bethel Revival Choir
- New Artiste of the Year – Wendy Shay
- Album of the Year – 'Rockstar' by Kuami Eugene
- Artiste of the Decade – Sarkodas musicians look
The Ghana Music Awards 2019 will go down as a memorable event for artists honoured in the ceremony. For some, it was more of disappointment after missing out on the prizes. All eyes are now set for the 2020 festival, and whether there will be new winners in all the categories.
READ ALSO: Latest Hiplife songs in Ghana of 2019