The primary role of the military in any country is maintaining peace. It safeguards the well-being of the nation and its citizens. The military community makes incredible sacrifices on behalf of all citizens and residents. You can use military quotes to encourage members of this community.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Top military quotes
- Short military quotes
- Famous military quotes about courage and bravery
- Military quotes on teamwork and discipline
- Military quotes on leadership
- Amazing military wife quotes
- Motivational military quotes
- Badass military quotes
- Reasons why I joined the military quotes
- Quotes for moms with kids who join the military
- Funny military quotes
- What are some good quotes for the military?
- What is a strong quote for soldiers?
There are hundreds of military quotes you can use to encourage a loved one in the military. The army is an extraordinary organisation that does a lot for its country.
Top military quotes
Military forces are a nation's power. People in the military undergo rigorous training before being assigned positions requiring dedication, hard work, and commitment. These people should be encouraged, supported, and loved.
Short military quotes
Check out these short military quotes to inspire you. You can send them to a loved one in the military to encourage them.
- War is too important to be left to the generals. - Georges Clémenceau
- Marines don't cry. - Barbara Nickless
- To command is to serve, nothing more and nothing less. - Andre Malraux
- Who dares, wins. Who sweats, wins. Who plans, wins. - British Special Air Service
- No guts, no glory. - Major Gen. Frederick C. Blesse
- Those who stand for nothing fall for anything. - Alexander Hamilton
- Only our individual faith in freedom can keep us free. - Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Sometimes you have to pick the gun up to put the Gun down. - Malcolm X
- The army is the true nobility of our country. - Napoleon Bonaparte
- A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons. - Admiral David D. Porter
- War is the unfolding of miscalculations. - Barbara Tuchman
- The military doesn't start wars. Politicians start wars. - William C. Westmoreland
- No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks. - James Allen
- I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight. - George S. Patton
- He loves his country best who strives to make it best. - Robert G. Ingersoll
- It is fatal to enter a war without the will to win it. - Douglas MacArthur
- A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood. - General George Smith Patton
- I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country. - Nathan Hale
- Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim. - Nora Ephron
- One who loses his life for his country will get it. - Dr. P.S. Jagadeesh Kumar
- War is life multiplied by some number that no one has ever heard of. - Sebastian Junger
Famous military quotes about courage and bravery
Being in the army requires courage and bravery. These qualities many not always be present, because human beings are emotional in nature. You can use quotes to encourage a loved one in the military to become courageous and brave.
- Brave men rejoice in adversity, just as brave soldiers triumph in war. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- It is courage, courage, courage that raises the blood of life to crimson splendour. Live bravely and present a brave front to adversity. - Horace
- True courage is being afraid, and going ahead and doing your job. - Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr
- Fortune favours the brave. - Terence
- Never forget that no military leader has ever become great without audacity. - Carl von Clausewitz
- The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. - Thomas Paine
- Bravery is being the only one who knows you’re afraid. - Colonel David Hackworth
- Courage isn't having the strength to go on; It is going on when you don't have strength. - Napoleon Bonaparte
- This nation will remain the land of the free so long as it is the home of the brave. - Elmer Davis
- I don’t know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they terrify me. - The Duke of Wellington
- Courage is the complement of fear. A man who is fearless cannot be courageous. He is also a fool. - Robert A. Heinlein
- Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste death but once. - William Shakespeare
- Heroism doesn’t always happen in a burst of glory. Sometimes small triumphs and large hearts change the course of history. - Mary Roach
- A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself. – Joseph Campbell
- Courage is never to let your actions be influenced by your fears. - Arthur Koestler
- Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston S. Churchill
- I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear. - Nelson Mandela
- Courage is about learning how to function despite the fear, to put aside your instincts to run or give in completely to the anger born from fear. Courage is about using your brain and your heart when every cell of your body is screaming at you to fight or flee—and then following through on what you believe is the right thing to do. - Jim Butcher
- Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the assessment that something else is more important than fear. - Franklin D. Roosevelt
- Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill
- You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Military quotes on teamwork and discipline
It takes plenty of hard work, teamwork, and discipline for the military to operate and run. Here are amazing quotes you can use to inspire teamwork and discipline.
- The hand of the aggressor is stayed by strength - and strength alone. - Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all. - George Washington
- There are four ingredients in true leadership: brains, soul, heart, and good nerves. - Klaus Schwab
- From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots. - Thomas Jefferson
- Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success. - Henry Ford
- It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit. – Harry S Truman
- Individual commitment to a group effort is what makes a teamwork, a company work, a society work, a civilisation work. - Vince Lombardi
- Teamwork is the secret that makes common people achieve uncommon results. - Ifeanyi Enoch Onuoha
- A group becomes teammates when each member is sure enough of himself and his contribution to praise the skills of the others. - Norman Shidle
- It takes two flints to make a fire. - Louisa May Alcott
- If you take out the team in teamwork, it's just work. Now who wants that? - Matthew Woodring Stover
- The strength of the team is each individual member. The strength of each member is the team. - Phil Jackson
- No matter how brilliant your mind or strategy, if you’re playing a solo game, you’ll always lose out to a team. - Reid Hoffman
- Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean. - Ryunosuke Satoro
- Remember, teamwork begins by building trust. And the only way to do that is to overcome our need for invulnerability. - Patrick Lencioni
- Good leaders organise and align people around what the team needs to do. Great leaders motivate and inspire people with why they’re doing it. That’s purpose. And that’s the key to achieving something truly transformational. - Marillyn Hewson
- Interdependent people combine their own effort with the efforts of others to achieve their greatest success. - Stephen Covey
- In the end, a great leader is only known by the impact he or she has on others. - Jim Stovall
- If your actions create a legacy that inspires others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, then you are an excellent leader. - Dolly Parton
- There is no such thing as a self-made man. You will reach your goals only with the help of others. - George Shinn
- If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you’re doing. - W. Edwards Deming
Military quotes on leadership
Proper leadership is a must for the military to run efficiently. Below are leadership quotes and messages you can use to promote good leadership.
- I am not afraid of an army of lions lead by a sheep; I am afraid of sheep lead by a lion. -Alexander the Great
- Leadership is of the spirit, compounded of personality and vision: its practice is an art. Management is of the mind, more a matter of accurate calculation, of statistics, of methods, timetables and routine; its practice is a science. Managers are necessary; leaders are essential. - Field Marshal Sir Bill Slim
- Motivation is the art of getting people to do what you want them to do because they want to do it. - Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do, and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. - George S. Patton Jr.
- Lead me, follow me, or get the hell out of my way. - General George S. Patton Jr
- It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle. - General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
- There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure. - Colin Powell
- Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country. - Kim Jong-un
- Lead by example, insist on teamwork and instil motivation. Self-discipline is what gets you to work every day, and hard work builds character. - Dave Mueller
- When things go wrong in your command, start wading for a reason in increasingly larger concentric circles around your own desk. - General Bruce D. Clark
- A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the equality of his actions and the integrity of his intent. - General of the Army, Douglas MacArthur
- A great person attracts great people and knows how to hold them together. - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
- If officers desire to have control over their commands, they must remain habitually with them, industriously attend to their instruction and comfort, and in battle, lead them well. - Stonewall Jackson
- I can’t understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I’m frightened of the old ones. - John Cage
- The very essence of leadership is that you have to have vision. You can't blow an uncertain trumpet. - Theodore M. Hesburgh
- Leaders grasp nettles. - David Ogilvy
- In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. - Thomas Jefferson
- Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed it is the only thing that ever has. - Margeret Mead
- I start with the premise that the function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers. - Ralph Nader
- A leader is best when people barely know he exists. When his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves. - Lao Tzu
Amazing military wife quotes
Being a military spouse comes with opportunities as well as challenges. You must support your spouse for them to perform well at their job. Check out these quotes for military spouses.
- How important it is for us to recognise and celebrate our heroes and she-roes! - Maya Angelou
- Love doesn’t make the world go round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile. - Franklin P. Jones
- Behind every soldier, there is an even stronger woman who stands behind him, supports him, and loves him with all her heart.
- A soldier does not usually fight because he hates the enemy or the perpetrators. He fights with all his valour because he loves the people in his country, especially his family. - Don Mills
- Your love is the best that I have ever known, and no matter the distance or the space, I will always cherish being your loved one. Knowing you is one of the greatest gifts of my life. - Valentin Morgan
- Only the strongest woman can survive missing half her heart.
- It doesn’t get easier. You just get stronger.
- Couples that are ‘meant to be’ are the ones who go through everything that is meant to tear them apart and come out even stronger than they were before.
- You know you are a military spouse when relatives visit and think they hear thunder, and you have to explain it is just artillery.
- She had been proud of his decision to serve his country, her heart bursting with love and admiration the first time she saw him outfitted in his dress blues. - Nicholas Sparks
- Together forever, never apart. Maybe in distance, but never at heart.
- You are my favourite hello and hardest goodbye.
- You are my love, my protector, my hero, and no matter the distance, I will always wait for you.
- Half my heart is deployed.
- The few hours I spend with you are worth the thousands of hours I spend without you.
- Loving a military person is not hard. The distance is hard. The worry is hard. The sacrifices are hard. But loving him…that’s the easiest thing I have ever done.
- A soldier doesn’t fight because he hates what is in front of him. He fights because he loves what he left behind.
- She stood in the storm. And when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails. - Elizabeth Edwards
- Marriage is a mosaic you build with your spouse. Millions of tiny moments that create your love story. - Jennifer Smith
- A successful marriage isn’t the union of two perfect people. It’s that of two imperfect people who have learned the value of forgiveness and grace. - Darlene Schacht
- The worst part is waiting. The best part is having someone worth waiting for.
Motivational military quotes
A little encouragement in life goes a long way in making life better for the people we love. Check out these motivational military quotes today.
- If a man hasn’t discovered something that he will die for, he isn’t fit to live. - Martin Luther King Jr.
- Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
- The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him. - G.K. Chesterton
- What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight—it’s the size of the fight in the dog. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Facta non verba (Deeds, not words) - Canadian Joint Task Force
- A safe army is better than a safe border. - B.R. Ambedkar
- If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn’t plan your mission properly. - David Hackworth
- We live in a world that has walls, and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. - Aaron Sorkin
- The truth is that you always know the right thing to do. The tough part is doing it. - General Norman Schwarzkopf
- Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore. - Andre Gide
- The world is dangerous, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. - Albert Einstein
- No man is a man until he has been a soldier. - Louis de Bernières
- The higher level of grand strategy [is] that of conducting war with a far-sighted regard to the state of the peace that will follow. - B. H. Liddell Hart
- How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. - A.A. Milne
- Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn’t even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. - Heraclitus
- We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us. - Winston S. Churchill
- We must never forget why we have, and why we need our military. Our armed forces exist solely to ensure our nation is safe, so that each and every one of us can sleep soundly at night, knowing we have ‘guardians at the gate. - Allen West
- A leader is like a shepherd. He stays behind the flock, letting the most nimble go out ahead, whereupon the others follow, not realising that all along they are being directed from behind. - Nelson Mandela
- The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. - Dr. Martin Luther King
- Just don’t give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don’t think you can go wrong. - Ella Fitzgerald
- People overcoming the odds is actually a really important part of humanity, and I don’t think we kind of get to celebrate that as much as we should. - Taika Waititi
Badass military quotes
Being tough and uncompromising are two top characteristics of a military person. You can encourage these qualities with the quotes and messages below.
- The soldier is the army. No army is better than its soldiers. The Soldier is also a citizen. In fact, the highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms for one’s country. - George S. Patton Jr.
- He who is not everyday conquering some fear has not learned the secret of life. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: I served in the United States Navy. - John F. Kennedy
- It is a proud privilege to be a soldier – a good soldier [with]discipline, self-respect, pride in his unit and his country, a high sense of duty and obligation to comrades and to his superiors, and a self-confidence born of demonstrated ability. - George S. Patton Jr.
- Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. - Winston Churchill
- For the first time in a long time, I felt like I had a purpose being in the Navy. It wasn’t about money and rank or prestige. It was about raising the flag. We do what we do because no one else can or will do it. We fight so others can sleep at night. And I had forgotten that. - Timothy Ciciora
- Word to the Nation: Guard zealously your right to serve in the Armed Forces, for without them, there will be no other rights to guard. - John F. Kennedy
- You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don’t ever count on having both at once. - Robert A. Heinlein
- Soldiers, when committed to a task, can't compromise. It's unrelenting devotion to the standards of duty and courage, absolute loyalty to others, and not letting the task go until it's been done. - John Keegan
- War is the greatest evil Satan has invented to corrupt our hearts and souls. We should honour our soldiers, but we should never honour war. - Dean Hughes
- Take patriotism away, and the nation’s soul has fled. - Edward Mark Deems
- Patriotism demands of us sustained sacrifice. - Chiang Kai-shek
- Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish. - John Quincy Adams
- Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. - Winston Churchill
- As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them. - John F. Kennedy
- Gratitude and attitude are not challenges; they are choices. - Robert Braathe
- There are not enough chinamen in the world to stop a fully armed Marine regiment from going where ever they want to go. - General Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller
- Perseverance, secret of all triumphs. - Victor Hugo
- Motivation is the art of getting people to do what you want them to do because they want to do it. - Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons. - Douglas MacArthur
- There are far better things ahead than we ever leave behind. - C.S. Lewis
Reasons why I joined the military quotes
Numerous people join the military is because they feel drawn to serving their country. Here are quotes and messages giving reasons why people join the military.
- It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. - Zell Miller
- Join the army and see the next world. - Dylan Thomas
- When you go home, tell them of us and say, for their tomorrow we gave our today. - John Maxwell Edmonds
- I thought to myself, "Join the army!" It's free. So I figured while I'm here I'll lose a few pounds. - John Candy
- No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
- When the will defies fear, when duty throws the gauntlet down to fate, when honor scorns to compromise with death. That is heroism. - Robert Green Ingersoll
- The brave die never, though they sleep in dust: Their courage nerves a thousand living men. - Minot J. Savage
- For what avail the plough or sail, or land or life, if freedom fail? - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- The patriot's blood is the seed of freedom's tree. - Thomas Campbell
- These fallen heroes represent the character of a nation who has a long history of patriotism and honour and a nation who has fought many battles to keep our country free from threats of terror. - Michael N. Castle
- Theirs not to reason why. Theirs but to do and die. - Lord Tennyson Alfred
- One more dance along the razor's edge finished. Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today. - Robert Jordan
- Battles are won by slaughter and manoeuvre. The greater the general, the more he contributes in manoeuvre, the less he demands in slaughter. - Winston S. Churchill
- Soldiers can sometimes make decisions that are smarter than the orders they've been given. - Orson Scott Card
- The only easy day was yesterday. - US Navy SEALs
- The consensus seemed to be that if really large numbers of men were sent to storm the mountain, then enough might survive the rocks to take the citadel. This is essentially the basis of all military thinking. - Terry Pratchett
- We live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. - Aaron Sorkin
- The man on top of the mountain did not fall there. - Vince Lombardi
- War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. - J.R.R. Tolkien
- It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived. - George S. Patton Jr.
- The music at a wedding procession always reminds me of the music of soldiers going into battle. - Heinrich Heine
Quotes for moms with kids who join the military
Being a mom with a child(ren) in the military is not easy. You worry about them and want them to give the country their best effort simultaneously.
- The moment that you have a child - that you know that when he'll turn 18, he'll join the army and go there for three years of compulsory service - then you can't help yourself of thinking about the future - speculating about it, dreading it or even being - trying to be more active to change it and improve it. - Etgar Keret
- We are so grateful for your service.
- You are embarking on a great adventure, full of new places and great experiences.
- I guess if you're stupid enough to join the army without thinking about getting shot at, then you really are a fool. - James Blunt
- It's nonsense that people join the army to serve the country, like the politicians do it only for the sake of the country. - Sam Manekshaw
- The sacrifice you are making is the ultimate act of patriotism.
- If a young fella has an option of having a decent career or joining the army to fight in Iraq, you can bet your life that he would not be in Iraq. - Charles Rangel
- So the whole of war, when you look at it is probably run by professional soldiers, and the rest of them are just recruits, or people who are just forced to join the army. - Gerald Scarfe
- We all feel safer knowing you are helping to protect us.
- Remember that you are loved completely and unconditionally.
- You never know how strong you are until strong is the only choice you have.
- We owe all of our military members our support and gratitude.
- There is nothing more admirable than giving up your freedom to preserve the freedom of others.
- Whenever you doubt yourself, remember that you are helping others all over the world every day.
- Always remember you have a family that loves you and thinks of you constantly.
- You are braver than you believe, stronger than you think, and loved more than you know.
- You and your fellow soldiers are the heart and soul of our country.
- It's OK to be scared. Courage is being scared, and doing what needs to be done anyway.
- Whenever you feel weak, remember what made you strong. Whenever you doubt yourself, remember that we believe in you.
- Sometimes, you have to fight through some bad days to get to the best days.
- People all over the world appreciate our military's efforts. You are a part of making our world secure.
Funny military quotes
A little humour has never hurt anyone. Check out these funny military quotes to make your day.
- Five-second fuses only last three seconds. - Infantry Journal
- Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads — they are not there accidentally. - Soviet infantry manual
- Out here, due process is a bullet! - Col. Mike Kirby
- If your attack is going too well, you’re probably walking into an ambush. - Infantry Journal
- If you see a bomb disposal technician running, try to keep up with him. - U.S. Army ordnance manual
- If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn’t plan your mission properly. - David Hackworth
- Get jailed, jump bail, join the army if you fail. - Bob Dylan
- Sixteen- and 17-year-olds pay taxes and can join the army, so surely they should in turn be given their right to vote. - Lucy Powell
- The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons. - Russian military doctrine
- The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis. - From a post-war debriefing of a German General
- The best armour is staying out of gunshot. - Italian proverb
- There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives. - Bumper Sticker
- You can have my gun when you pry it from my paranoid, mentally disturbed, physically abusive, cold, dead hand. - Bumper sticker
- Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value. - Marshal Ferdinand Foch
- Even if a submarine should work by a miracle, it will never be used. No country in this world would ever use such a vicious and petty form of warfare! - William Henderson
- To throw bombs from an airplane will do as much damage as throwing bags of flour. It will be my pleasure to stand on the bridge of any ship while it is attacked by airplanes. - Newton Baker
- Aviation is good for sport, but for the army it is useless! - Marshal Ferdinand Foch
- Airplanes suffer from so many technical faults that it is only a matter of time before any reasonable man realises that they are useless! - Scientific American
- A nuclear war can ruin your whole day.
- Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
- Always remember to pillage before you burn.
What are some good quotes for the military?
There are hundreds of good quotes and messages for the military. Check out the options above and choose the best one.
What is a strong quote for soldiers?
A strong quote reminds a soldier to be brave, dedicated, and hardworking. It also appreciates their work.
Military quotes are often used to encourage people in the military and their loved ones. Protecting one's country is one of the biggest sacrifices a person can make, so the military should be respected.
Legit.ng recently published touching love messages to make him cry. Love languages are so complicated because everyone expresses affection differently.
Words make it easier to communicate how you feel about your significant other. That is why sending him touching love messages will make him emotional.