Military quotes are something that can keep your spirit high and strong. They have an incredible atmosphere of courage and stamina around them. They were once voiced out by the bravest men who never feared death or pain. No wonder we experience these goosebumps when we read such words. So, prepare for a stream of pride and excitement rushing down your spine and keep on reading!
War is a time when life and death meet face to face, when everything collapses and when lots of lives are lost. Still, it is also the time that discovers the most courageous hearts and flawless minds able to lead others to the victory. The most famous military quotes belong to such leaders.
The most inspirational military quotes from the most famous leaders
In the course of history, there have been many wars. They all have their heroes and the most prominent leaders, too. It does not matter much now which side they supported. We can see their wisdom from their words, and we cannot deny that once they were icons, examples and real heroes for their people.
Here is a small collection of strong, emotional and very appealing quotes from prominent minds. Some of them were civilians like G.K. Chesterton or Martin Luther King, Jr. Others were prominent commanders of their armies and significant figures during wars. They were united by the understanding of some deep senses of fighting for one’s ideas and the most precious things they had.
- "If a man hasn’t discovered something that he will die for, he isn’t fit to live." – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- "The truth is that you always know the right thing to do. The tough part is doing it." – General Norman Schwarzkopf, U.S. Army
- "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." – G.K. Chesterton (This phrase has a deep stirring meaning behind it, as every soldier fights for the idea, or the land, or the love he or she has left behind. People go against their enemies simply because they need to protect something they would never want to lose: their land, their homes, or the people they cherish.)
- "Be an example to your men, in your duty and in private life. Never spare yourself and let your troops see that you do not in your endurance of fatigue and privation. Be always tactful and well-mannered. Avoid excessive sharpness of voice, which usually indicates the man who has shortcomings of his own to hide." – German Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
- "The most important thing I learned is that soldiers watch what their leaders do. You can give them classes and lecture them forever, but it is your personal example they will follow." – General Colin Powell (Being an example in everything is really important for a good military leader. However, it is not only about being always smart and sharp; it is also about being wise, courageous and merciful. It may be necessary to make tough emotional decisions in the heat of a battle, and a true leader should give all the soldiers this spiritual example, too.)
Great military quotes that remain in time
These words were once said by prominent military leaders like Giuseppe Garibaldi or huge historical figures like Heraclitus. Their wisdom has survived ages, and now we keep on reading their words with the sense of excitement and pride.
- "Out of every one hundred men, ten should not even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, the one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." – Heraclitus, Greek philosopher
- "Heroism doesn’t always happen in a burst of glory. Sometimes small triumphs and large hearts change the course of history." – Mary Roach
- "I offer neither pay, nor quarters, nor food; I offer only hunger, thirst, forced marches, battles, and death. Let him who loves his country with his heart, and not merely his lips, follow me. Soldier, patriot, and the uniter of modern Italy." – Giuseppe Garibaldi
- "It doesn’t take a hero to order men to go into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle." — General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
- "Battles are won by slaughter and manoeuvre. The greater the general, the more he contributes in manoeuvre, the less he demands in slaughter." – Winston S. Churchill
They all speak of heroes, no matter who they are: ordinary soldiers or commanders. It is present in everybody, but it takes a tough situation to reveal this heroism and often it takes a truly talented leader to help people discover heroes inside their hearts and minds.
The strongest military motivational quotes
Military quotes can also be a powerful motivation. At war, motivation means a lot because, without it, people will lose their point. Still, some of them can also be a great motivation for civilians in their everyday life. Never giving up and always being strong in mind and body is usually the key point of such sayings.
- "Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never — in nothing, great or small, large or petty— never give in except to conviction s of honour and good sense." – Winston Churchill
- "The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." – Calvin Coolidge
- "Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste death but once." – William Shakespeare, “Julius Caesar”
- "The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office." – Dwight Eisenhower, 34th President of the United States, and former General of the Army
- "We live in a world that has walls, and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns." – Aaron Sork
READ ALSO: Top 20 Bible verses about forgiveness
Take advantage of these powerful sayings in your everyday life. You will see how much drive and enthusiasm they can give you in spite of their seeming simplicity. No matter what your duties are, no matter how old you are – you can find an unbroken spirit and a lot of power in these words.
Several badass military quotes to uplift your mood
Being a hero of war is not only being always courageous and proud. Sometimes, it is necessary to try on the role of a badass and be daring, straightforward and decisive. Such people are priceless when it comes to a battlefield and the need to fight with all zest. Just check out these quotes and see how charming and powerful they are with all their energy.
- "I hear a lot of crap about what a glorious thing it is to die for your country. It is not glorious – it is stupid! You do not go into battle to die for your country. You go into battle to make the other bastard die for his country." – General George S. Patton, Jr.
- "Who dares, wins. Who sweats, wins. Who plans, wins." – British Special Air Service (SAS)
- "Lead me, follow me, or get the hell out of my way." – General George S. Patton Jr.
- "No guts, no glory." – Major Gen. Frederick C. Blesse
In fact, these are true feelings and actual thoughts of real soldiers. Far from having their heads in the clouds, they are realistic and somewhat rude but only more inspiring with all that.
Stirring military quotes about sacrifice
Sacrifice is an inevitable part of every soldier’s life and duties. If one is not ready to fall defending his or her ideas, home, nation, or freedom, there is no effective service. It is a great honour for a person to give life for something as precious as liberty or homeland.
- "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." – George S. Patton
- "The soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war." – Douglas MacArthur, an American soldier
- "The brave die never, though they sleep in dust: Their courage nerves a thousand living men." – Minot Judson Savage, American clergyman and author
The most significant sacrifice of every soldier who did or did not return from battlefields is their readiness to give one life for thousands of other lives. Millions of the dead are unknown and will remain such for good. Still, they have done something incredibly great, and this something is their willingness to give everything they have for the sake of others.
Several funny military quotes to make you smile
These quotes show deep wits of their authors and allow seeing all those military actions at a completely different angle. They show that there is always a moment to smile even at the times of the highest danger.
- "The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis." – Karl Dönitz, German Grand Admiral
- "The best armour is staying out of gun-shot." – Italian proverb
- "Whoever said the pen is stronger than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – Douglas MacArthur
It was a very small selection of the best military quotes of different types. Some of them will make you smile, others will bring hot tears to your eyes, but they all will make you think deep into the very nature of wars and conflicts and the role of every human soul in them.
Enjoy these military quotes and the brilliant wisdom of those minds that voiced them; get your share of daily inspiration in them, and motivate yourself for heroic deeds even in your everyday routine. Every one of us is a soldier battling his own war, and we do need this motivation for the victory.
READ ALSO: Top 20 Bible verse about patience