- Nigeria vs Seychelles AFCON qualifier ended in favour of the Super Eagles
- The three time AFCON champions defeated their visitors 3-1 at the Stephen Keshi Stadium
- Ighalo, Onyekuru and Simon scored a goal each as the Eagles finish at the summit of Group E after six matches
Nigeria wrapped up their 2019 African Cup of Nations qualifiers on a high following their 3-1 win over Seychelles at the Stephen Keshi Stadium, Delta state.
Coach Gernot Rohr fielded a very strong squad for the Pirates despite already booking a place in the finals of the competition staging in Egypt this summer.
It took the Super Eagles 35 minutes to open scoring through Odion Ighalo from the penalty spot after Wilfred Ndidi was fouled.
The visitors responded quite well as Roddy Melanie took advantage of Francis Uzoho's mistake to restore parity for Seychelles.
Rohr's men returned to the pitch for the second half of the game with more purpose as Henry Onyekuru headed the Eagles back in front in the 51st minute from a Jamilu Collins cross.
While returnee, Moses Simon sealed the victory for the hosts through a dazzling move in the 90th minute.
However, in spite of the sweet victory over the Pirates, Legit.ng highlight four players who were abysmal in the game:
1. Francis Uzoho: The Anorthosis Famagusta goalkeeper handed Seychelles the chance to score in the game following his poor calculation before going all out to save a cross in his 18-yard box.
The 20-year-old did not show confidence in the game having being found culpable on a number of times in the game.
2. Kenneth Omeruo: The Chelsea on loan star at Leganes partnered William Troost-Ekong in the heart of defence but was found out of position a couple of times in the game.
The 25-year-old, with his level of experience should be commanding respect in his position but he was still found wanting against a lowly side like Seychelles.
3. Alex Iwobi: The Arsenal star featured for most part of the match but his impact was hardly felt by his teammates.
He was all over the place, and maybe that was the instruction his coach handed over to him, but unable to create chances for his attackers to score.
4. Odion Ighalo: Apart from stepping up to score from the spot kick for the Super Eagles, Ighalo hardly made any shot on target.
The former Watford striker opened scoring for the home team as he stretch his goal tally in the qualification series to seven goals.
He however stands a chance to win the highest goals scorer prize if he stays at the summit of the chart once all the games are completed this FIFA window.
Legit.ng earlier reported that a goal each from Odion Ighalo, Moses Simon and Henry Onyekuru handed Nigeria maximum points as they wrapped up their AFCON 2019 qualifiers with a win.
The Super Eagles finish top of Group E with 13 points after six matches ahead of South Africa and Libya and not forgetting the Pirates.
Gernot Rohr's men got the game started on a shaky note as the visitors' game plan led them to force the hosts to 1-1 in the first half.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better.
Nigeria not among top 3 favorites to win AFCON 2019 – Gernot Rohr| Legit TV