There is quite a big number of Bible verses about anger. In this article, we gathered for you the list of top 20 quotes from the Scripture to illustrate different aspects of this feeling. We also review examples of overcoming angry feelings with the help of forgiveness. The Bible is known as a source of wise thoughts, so we can turn to it in search for answers and pieces of advice.
In our list of top Bible verses about anger, you may see different aspects of this feeling described in the Scripture. We have examples to illustrate angry feelings of God, and man's anger; we also have quotes to show you how the Bible describes the relationship between anger and forgiveness.
Bible verses about anger: righteous rage
- God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day. — Psalms 7:11
- And the Lord was angry with Solomon, because his heart had turned away from the Lord, the God of Israel, who had appeared to him twice and had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods. But he did not keep what the Lord commanded. — 1 Kings 11:9,10
- Therefore the Lord was very angry with Israel and removed them out of his sight. None was left but the tribe of Judah only. — 2 Kings 17:18
- And he [Jesus] said to them, “Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill?” But they were silent. And he looked around at them with anger, grieved at their hardness of heart, and said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was restored. — Mark 3:4,5
READ ALSO: Top 20 Bible verses on healing
- The Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. In the temple he found those who were selling oxen and sheep and pigeons, and the money-changers sitting there. And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen. And he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables. And he told those who sold the pigeons, “Take these things away; do not make my Father’s house a house of trade.” — John 2:13-16
Bible verses about anger: unrighteous rage
- But for Cain and his offering he [the Lord] had no regard. So Cain was very angry, and his face fell. The Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry, and why has your face fallen? If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it.” Cain spoke to Abel his brother. And when they were in the field, Cain rose up against his brother Abel and killed him. — Genesis 4:5-8
- Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath! Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil. — Psalms 37:8
- A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, but he who is slow to anger quiets contention. — Proverbs 15:18
- A man of wrath stirs up strife, and one given to anger causes much transgression. — Proverbs 29:22
- For pressing milk produces curds, pressing the nose produces blood, and pressing anger produces strife. — Proverbs 30:33
Bible verses about overcoming anger
- A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil; but the fool rageth, and is confident. He that is soon angry dealeth foolishly; and a man of wicked devices is hated. — Proverbs 14:16,17
- Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly. — Proverbs 14:29
- Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense. — Proverbs 19:11
- Be not quick in your spirit to become angry, for anger lodges in the bosom of fools. — Ecclesiastes 7:9
- Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. — James 1:19,20
Bible verses about anger and forgiveness
- You have heard that it was said to those of old, "You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment." But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, "You fool!" will be liable to the hell of fire. So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. — Matthew 5:21-24
- Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. — Galatians 5:19-21
- But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. — Galatians 5:22-25
- Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil. Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need. — Ephesians 4:26-28
- But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. — Colossians 3:8, 12-13
Anger is, may be the most destructive, intense and unhealthy emotion; it may lead to terrible consequences. As you see, Bible anger quotes can be divided into two main categories. The verses of the first category describe the cases of righteous anger, this type of feeling appears in God when He wants to punish the sinners or when the hearts of people are turned out away from Him.
The second type is unrighteous anger; this is the feeling of people that often leads to committing sins. The Bible gives as a great antidote against this type of feeling, and this antidote is forgiveness. The wisdom and an ability to forgive — these are the main methods to avoid the sin of rage.
Bible verses about anger help us to understand all the main aspects of this feeling or state. The scripture gives us the methods to overcome destructive rage, so let us avoid any sinful states.
READ ALSO: Prayers for hope and guidance