Getting to socialize with strangers is a great way of making new friends. Some strangers become lifelong friends with whom you share your challenges and happy moments. To make new friends easily, you need to make conversation starters. You can have questions to ask a new friend to get to know them better. The questions you ask a new friend should be basic and should not make them feel awkward.
For your questions to ask a friend, start with funny get to know you questions to break the ice. Being strangers, one person has to start the conversation, and if you are confident enough, you can take the lead.
Your new friend will get comfortable with time and even open up to some things you may not have known before. You can start with the usual talk of the weather, comment on the event you have attended if you met at the event, or just make a general observation.
Personal questions to ask a new friend
Personal questions to get to know someone need not be intimate or profound. The questions are to help you understand the new friend beyond the surface level. When formulating getting to know you questions, choose topics that do not bring heated debates.
You can ask their opinion about basic things like the flavour of ice cream they like, or ask them if they think everyone should know how to swim. In your list of questions to ask friends, avoid topics like politics, religion, or personal philosophies.
- What was the best vacation you ever took and why?
- Have you ever travelled to Africa or Australia? If no can you add them to your bucket list?
- What are your hobbies, and how did you get into them?
- Did you enjoy your teens or your twenties?
- How do you like spending your weekend?
- How many genres of music do you enjoy?
- What was the last good book you read?
- Are you introverted or extroverted?
- Do you enjoy the crowds?
- What's your favourite ice cream topping?
- What was the last TV show you binge-watched?
- Do you enjoy political shows? Why or why not?
- Are you into podcasts? Who is your favourite podcaster?
- Do you have a favourite holiday? Why or why not?
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Do you like going to movies or prefer watching at home?
- What's your favourite sleeping position?
- Are you a light sleeper or a deep sleeper?
- What’s your go-to guilty pleasure?
- Are you a beach person or a camping person?
- When was the last time you went hiking?
- 18. What's your favourite quote from a TV show or movie?
- Who are your favourite authors?
- Do you enjoy listening to the radio?
- Who is your celebrity crush in Hollywood?
- What's one thing that can instantly make your day better?
- What are your pet peeves?
- Which meal is your favourite: breakfast, lunch, or dinner?
- What song always gets you out on the dance floor?
- Have you ever enjoyed eating the crusts on your sandwich at any point in your life?
- What would instantly calm you down if you were nervous?
- Ideally, how would you spend your birthday?
- What do you do on your commute to/from work?
- How often do you exercise?
- Do you have a favourite type of exercise?
- What's your favourite season, and why?
- Do you consider yourself to be funny?
- What are the three apps on your phone that you check daily??
- Do you enjoy cooking or ordering in?
- Have you ever disliked something and then changed your mind?
- How often do you change your mind?
- What's your favourite board game?
- How do you take your coffee?
- What's your most prized possession, and why?
- Is there anything that you cannot leave the house without?
- Do you sleep with a top sheet? Why or why not?
- If you could have any exotic animal as a pet, which would it be?
- What would be the first thing you'd do if you won the lottery?
Career questions to ask a new friend
Every working adult has a career goal. Asking questions about their career is an excellent way of knowing someone on a deeper level. You also get to learn about different careers from yours.
Questions to ask your friends should be in a positive light, even when making inquiries. Do not try to make them feel bad about the careers they chose with the questions to know friends.
- Are you more of a work to live or a live to work type of person?
- Does your job make you feel happy and fulfilled? Why or why not?
- How would your 10-year-old self react to what you do now?
- What did you hate most about your first job?
- What did you like most about your first job?
- Was your first job the ideal first job?
- How old were you when you started working?
- Did your parents help you get your first job?
- Would you change careers now if given a chance?
- What do you enjoy most about your current job?
- What annoys you most in your career?
- What’s the career highlight you’re most proud of?
- How long do you think you will stay at your current gig?
- What type of role do you want to take on after this one?
- Do you think you deserve a raise?
- What’s the worst job you’ve ever had?
- What was the inspiration in your current field of work?
- How many side hustles can you handle with your current position at work?
- What's your favourite part of the workday?
- What’s the best career decision you’ve ever made?
- What’s the worst career decision you’ve ever made?
- Are you good at networking?
- What career advice would you give to your younger self?
- Do you a five-year or ten-year plan?
- How do you balance your social life and professional life?
- When will you know you've 'made it'?
- Are you looking forward to retiring, or do you plan to work as long as possible?
- Have you ever had imposter syndrome?
- Are you a workaholic? If not, what do you think about workaholics?
- What qualities do you look for in a boss?
- Do you think it is okay for bosses to be too friendly with their staff?
- Do you have a professional mentor? If not, do you want one?
- Should work best friends be a thing for everyone?
- How do you best unwind after a long day at work?
- Growing up, did you think you would end up in this career?
- Are there any mistakes you made while choosing your career path?
- How do you push yourself to be better at what you do?
- What's the best career advice you've ever heard?
- What's the worst career advice you've ever received?
- Can you name two shockers you encountered when you first started working at your current gig?
- How do you pick yourself back up after making a mistake at work?
- Have you ever made arch enemies at work?
- What's one work-related thing you want to accomplish in the next year?
- Who has had the most significant impact on your career choice?
- What does your family think of your career?
- Name one thing you've learned in your current position?
Family questions to ask a new friend
Family means everything to a lot of people. Ask about their family to understand where your new friend comes from better. By using family questions to know a friend, you will know their favourite sibling and how often they see each other.
Your get to know me question should not be intrusive to make them upset. Talking about family brings joy to a lot of people, and this may elevate the mood of your conversation.
- How often do you see your family?
- Who do you most like spending time with and why?
- Were you close with your family growing up?
- How do you define your family now?
- What makes your family members unique?
- How many siblings do you have?
- Which sibling are you the closest to and why?
- Do you want a family of your own?
- What's your favourite family tradition?
- What was it like growing up as the youngest/oldest/middle/only child?
- Do you take family vacations together?
- Is your family religious?
- What's your favourite family memory growing up?
- What TV family most reminds you of your own?
- Do you ever wish you were raised differently?
- Did your family move a lot when growing up?
- What’s the best piece of advice a family member has given you?
- Do you wish you had more siblings? If so, why?
- Did you ever hide anything from or lie to your parents?
- If you had a family business, what would it be?
- Do you and your family have any nicknames for each other?
- What's your favourite way to spend time with your family?
- Do you believe family reunions are essential?
- What's the most important holiday you spend with your family and why?
- Which one of your parents do you think is cooler?
- What's something that none of your family members knows about you?
- Which family member do you confide in most?
- Do you know any of your family secrets?
- How do you deal with arguments between family members?
- What's more important: family or friends?
It does not matter if you are either an introvert or an extrovert. The above questions to ask a new friend to know them better will help you start a conversation with a potential friend. You never know as this friend may end up being in your life forever. Be warm to the new friend and reply openly when they pose similar get to know me questions to you. Also, remember not to force your opinion on them if they give a contrary answer.
READ ALSO: 20 fun questions to ask your girlfriend
Legit.ng shared 20 fun questions to ask your girlfriend. Many people want to make a good impression when communicating. If you are one of them, these questions will help to make your conversation enjoyable as you get to learn each other more.
Maybe you and your girlfriend have talked about almost everything in the world, and would want to switch things up a bit. We hope that the questions to ask your girlfriend we have selected will help you keep the conversation going.