Everyone likes a delicious fruit that is also good for you. Which is why today, we want to talk about the star fruit benefits, but also mention a few of its side effects. So if you want to feel better after taking a few of these fruits at dinner, this is the article for you. Find out how this peculiarly shaped gift of nature can be good (or bad) for you.
Just by looking at star fruit (also known as carambola), it is hard to tell how much goodness is hiding in it. Of course, it is delicious and very fascinating, but that does not mean that it is actually healthy. For that reason, we have decided to highlight all the benefits of starfruit so that you can enjoy it even more. However, stick around until the end to find out about its side effects, as nothing can be 100% good.
Star fruit health benefits
There are lots of benefits of eating star fruit, so let’s try to list the most important ones here:
- Cancer prevention. Like many other fruits that contain antioxidants and fibre, star fruit can be a powerful tool in preventing cancer. The antioxidants in it can counter the harmful effects of free radicals and remove them from the body, while fibre can reduce the toxicity levels.
- Anti-inflammatory effect. The aforementioned micro elements are not only good for cancer prevention. They also have a great anti-inflammatory effect on different skin disorders, such as dermatitis or psoriasis. In addition to that, star fruit contains vitamin C, which helps in collagen synthesis and the process of flushing out toxins.
- Good heart health. Due to the high amounts of potassium and sodium, as well as a moderate amount of calcium contained in the starfruit, it is perfect for maintaining proper blood pressure. Moreover, those microelements also ensure a healthy blood flow and regular heartbeat.
- Reduced cholesterol levels. While talking about star fruit benefits for the heart health, it is also important to mention that it can help your body regulate bad and elevate good cholesterol, which means a lower chance of having a heart attack, stroke or a coronary heart disease.
READ ALSO: Benefits of black seed oil
- Lactation stimulation. If you have troubles with lactation, you should definitely pick up some star fruit on your next trip to the store/market, as it can help you produce more milk for your baby. It is also known for being an emmenagogue, meaning that it can stimulate menstruation if your period is late.
- Aid in weight loss. Star fruit is delicious, but that does not mean that it has lots of calories. You can eat it as much and as often as you can without the fear of gaining extra weight. Star fruit will help you feel fuller and keep you from snacking too often or overeating. It can even help you shed some kilograms thanks to the fibre and other nutrients.
- Immunity booster. You might not know this, but a single star fruit contains almost half the daily value of vitamin C, which is absolutely essential to your immune system. With such a major boost of vitamin C, you can forget about the cold!
- Improved digestion. Once again, star fruit’s high fibre content (it is contained both in the fruit itself and in its peel) comes into play, as it can help you to avoid or relieve digestive problems, such as diarrhoea, cramping, bloating or constipation.
- Increased bone density. There are plenty of minerals in a star fruit, including magnesium, iron, calcium, zinc and phosphorus, and they can all help you avoid osteoporosis, which is particularly common among older people, and promote bone health.
- Diabetes control. According to research, star fruit can help you to prevent diabetes, or, if you are diabetic, to manage your symptoms. It is a perfect snack that aids your body in controlling the insulin levels and prevents the release of glucose after meals.
READ ALSO: Ashitaba health benefits and side effects
- Improved metabolism. Thanks to the riboflavin, folate and pyridoxine that can be found in star fruit, it can optimize your metabolism by making sure that the necessary hormonal and enzymatic processes happen throughout your body.
- Detoxified body. As star fruit is a diuretic, it can help you detoxify. It will cleanse the kidneys and liver, lower the toxin levels, remove the excess fats and salts. That said, if you have a pre-existing kidney condition, you should go easy on star fruit, otherwise a benefit might turn into a side effect.
- Improved respiratory health. If you suffer from a respiratory infection, chronic or otherwise, you should consider eating some star fruit, as it can cut through phlegm or mucus, as well as promote salivation. Thus, you can forget about your sore throat.
- Treatment for sore eyes. In addition to being a sight for sore eyes in this bleak world, this magical fruit can also be a treat for sore eyes. Just slice it up and put on your eyelids to remove puffiness and wake up your eyes.
- Skin and hair treatment. Due to the fact that star fruit is full of vitamins and antioxidants, it makes sense that it is very good for your hair and skin. Not only is it good for you as food, but it is also great as a moisturiser and treatment against blemishes.
Star fruit side effects
READ ALSO: Side effects of ginger you should know
Of course, it would be weird if a fruit with so many benefits had absolutely no side effects. Even though it does not have that many, you should still be aware of the following disadvantages of consuming star fruit:
- Allergies. Although star fruit allergy is rather uncommon, there are people who should stay away from it. So if after eating star fruit you experience unpleasant effects, such as nausea, diarrhoea or even vomiting, stay away from it. And if you have never tried it before, it is best to start with a little piece and see how it goes.
- Toxicity. As we have mentioned before, people with kidney disease should not eat star fruit, as it might cause a wide range of negative effects, including nausea, confusion, headaches and seizures. In some cases, it might even lead to death, which is why if you are not sure whether you should be eating star fruit, consult your doctor.
- Kidney stones. Due to the high concentration of oxalic acid in star fruit, it is not recommended to be consumed in excessive amounts, especially if you have kidney problems. If you eat too much, you risk developing kidney stones.
- Drug interactions. If you have any sort of prescription, you should consult your doctor before trying star fruit, as it might actually negate the effect of your medicine. Better safe than sorry.
As you can see, there are lots of benefits to eating star fruit, but you should also not forget about the side effects. Make sure you consume it in moderation and talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.
READ ALSO: Health benefits of moringa seed oil