The Organisation of African Unity (OAU) is founded at a conference in 1963 in Addis Ababa - which remains to this day the site of its administrative headquarters. Its purpose is to promote solidarity between African nations and to eliminate colonialism in Africa. The controlling body is the assembly of heads of state which meets annually to discuss issues of common concern.
In this report, Legit.ng brings you a list of the past secretary generals of OAU.
1. Diallo Telli of Guinea was a diplomat and politician. He helped found the Organisation of African Unity (OAU) and was the first secretary-general of the OAU between 1964 and 1972.
2. Ezo Ekangaki was a Cameroonian political figure. He served as the secretary general of the Organisation of African Unity from 1972 to 1974.
3. William Eketi Mbomoua was a Cameroonian political figure and diplomat. He had a long career as a minister in the government of the country; from 1961 to 1968, he was minister of national education, and from 1984 to 1987, he was minister of foreign affairs. Etéki Mboumoua was also Secretary-General of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU) from 1974 to 1978.
4. Edem Kodjo of Togo is a Togolese politician and diplomat. He was secretary general of the Organisation of African Unity from 1978 to 1983.
5. Peter Onu was a Nigerian diplomat and philanthropist. He served as an ambassador to Germany. He also served as the political officer of the Nigerian embassy in Moscow. He then served as the acting secretary general of the Organisation of African Unity between 1983 and 1985. He succeeded Edem Kodjo.
6. Ide Omaru was a Nigerien diplomat, government minister, and journalist. He served as ambassador to the United Nations between 1980 and 1983. He then served as the foreign minister between 1983 and 1985 and was secretary-general of the Organisation of African Unity between 1985 and 1988.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
7. Salim Ahmed Salim is a Tanzanian diplomat who has worked in the international diplomatic ... Salim.JPG. 7th secretary general of the Organisation of African Unity and the secretary general of the OAU 1989–2001.
8. Amara Essy is a diplomat from Ivory Coast. Early life and on 9 July 2001 he was elected secretary-general of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU) in Lusaka, Zambia, with the task of leading the OAU's transformation into the African Union over the course of one year.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had enlisted the last 15 past presidents of the United States of America and their policies as it relates to the affairs of the world.
Who is Nigeria's greatest president ever? on Legit.ng TV: