400,000 irregular admissions for students was rectified in one year – JAMB registrar
- JAMB Registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede explains how the exam body has regularised over 400,000 admissions for students among various irregularities in the last one year
- The registrar claims many universities and other tertiary institutions engage in irregular admission of candidates
- He also stated that the recent lowering of cut-off marks to 120 and 100 would give schools the opportunity to do what's right
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board Registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, has said that in the last one year that the exam body has regularised over 400,000 admissions for students who had scored below cut-off marks, among various irregularities.
The registrar speaking in an interview with The Punch on Friday, August 25, said many universities and other tertiary institutions had engaged in the irregular admission of candidates for 10 years.
Legit.ng gathered that the former vice-chancellor of the University of Ilorin also said within his first six weeks of resumption as JAMB’s Registrar, at least 100 tertiary institutions had asked the board to regularise the admissions of 17, 160 students, who had similarly not been admitted the proper way.
READ ALSO: Governor Fayose reveals why he did not attend President Buhari's meeting with state governors
Oloyede said such institutions had been making pronouncements on cut-off marks that they had failed to follow, adding that the recent lowering of cut-off marks for the board’s Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination from 180 to 120 and 100 would give schools the chance to do the right thing.
He said: “We have cleared over 400,000 of such cases and it had been going on for 10 years. And because we asked them to come forward with these cases, they came forward. They did not score the publicised cut-off marks and they were in the universities, but we did not have their statistics because we were imposing a centralised cut-off mark on them.
They (VCs) will leave you in Abuja with your centralised cut-off mark, admit who they want and graduate them. They have been doing that, but we are saying, ‘Let us do things properly.’”
Oloyede said he was surprised upon his appointment as JAMB Registrar that institutions had been conducting such admissions.
He, however, noted that some universities in the country had been strictly following rules, including refusing to admit any candidate who scored below cut-off marks. He said, “I can give you the statistics of all the universities that have admitted candidates with 120, 130, 140 (UTME) scores in the last 10 years. They have come to JAMB to regularise. If they want to challenge me, by the time we bring out evidence, some of them will be ashamed.
PAY ATTENTION: Watch more videos on Legit.ng TV
Legit.ng previously reported that JAMB revealed that the decision to reduce the cut-off marks for admission into tertiary institutions was done by stakeholders in the education sector.
The examination body had been criticised for the new cut of mark it released for the 2017/2018 academic session but it revealed that this was done to make the process more flexible.
Watch a Legit.ng TV video below of Nigerians complaining about the hassle of JAMB registration: