According to the culinary traditions, the first dish is the most important. Everyone knows that having a hot soup is very crucial for health. Cooks around the world create delicious recipes of varying complexity. The easiest way is to cook food from those products that are easily available in your area. So use the secrets of the national Nigerian cuisine. From this article, you’ll find out how to cook vegetable soup with ugu and waterleaf.
Useful properties of vegetable soups
This dish is very nutritious but at the same time, light. It is quickly absorbed and improves digestion. Vegetable soup ingredients come with a lot of useful substances. In addition, the soups are usually less caloric than most dishes.
Filling and tasty vegetable soups are very necessary for people who care about their health. They are incomparable when it comes to their properties. Soups like this have an exquisite and gentle consistency, so they are very easily and quickly absorbed by the body. In addition, they are very beneficial since vegetables contain a lot of the vitamins and microelements we need.
Vegetable soups are ideal for those who prefer nutritional native dishes. These Nigerian cuisine are considered a favourite for most people.
READ ALSO: How to make Isi Ewu goat head?
Traditional Nigerian edikaikong soup
Let’s take a close look at the traditional Nigerian food. For many years, one of the most popular dishes in our country is the edikaikong soup. It's not too difficult to prepare You will get great health benefits. Efiks were the first tribes to begin preparing this dish. The name edikaikong is translated as "vegetable soup". It's an excellent source of vitamins, strength, and fibre.
If you want to try it stock up with these ingredients:
- 0,5 kilos of roasted/dried fish;
- 1 cup of crayfish;
- from 10 to 12 cups of waterleaf;
- 6 cups of ugu leaf;
- 1 cup of palm oil;
- average stock fish head;
- meat you prefer (assorted is the best);
- salt and pepper according to your taste;
- 3-4 cubes of Maggi or Knorr;
- 1 cup of periwinkles (may be not added if you don't like it);
- ofor or achi (2 spoons);
- onion (half cup).
The measurement may be adjusted if you would like to cook more or less food.
If you haven’t eaten periwinkles before be sure to try it out. In most Nigerian markets, it is sold in ready-made form.
How to cook vegetable soup?
The preparation is quite easy. You just have to follow few simple instructions:
- Rinse the meat under water and put it in a large pot. Add the onion, spices, and cook the mixture for half an hour.
- Wash the seafood and periwinkle under cool water and add them to the pan. Wait until the meat is about 3/4 soft compared to full readiness.
- Rinse fish in hot water to get rid of dirt and sand, mix it with the rest of ingredients. If the fish is very dry, add it at the very beginning.
- Slice ugu and waterleaves into small pieces. It’s convenient to buy already sliced leaves. Sellers often do it themselves. If you need to cut the leaves yourself, use a plate and a sharp knife.
- Put the leaves in separate dishes and rinse with water to get rid of sand. It is recommended to do it very carefully. It's better to wash them before cutting, so this is an important reason to buy them unprepared. The fluted pumpkin can be washed before slicing, but you have to wash waterleaves after cutting.
- Add 1 cup of palm oil (250 milliliters) to the boiling ingredients. In this recipe, you have to use a lot of oil.
- Add spices according to your taste. Then the dish should be cooked for another 10 minutes. Make sure all ingredients boil with a little water.
- Mix the soup, taste a little and decide whether it is worth adding spices before putting waterleaves in.
- Stir, wait for 3 more minutes before using the leaves.
- Mix and add seafood, periwinkle, Knorr or Maggi.
- If desired, add ground ofor or achi (1 big spoon). Then add your ugu leaves.
- Cover pan with lid, leaving a small opening for steam and let the soup boil for another 5 minutes.
That's all! You just cooked a mouth-watering soup. Enjoy its special taste. Invite relatives and friends to dinner. They are guaranteed to appreciate your cooking skills. Complement the feast with a second dish like fufu or semovita.
For many people find it easier to learn recipes from video lessons. Below you can see how to make the delicious vegetable soup. The video is made in the usual Nigerian kitchen, not in a restaurant or hotel. So any person can repeat the process described at home.
It's a good illustration for the article above. Closely follow the process, take into account all recommendations and you will definitely get a tasty meal. Bon Appetit!
READ ALSO: How to prepare Egusi soup with waterleaf?