Bombing: Troops neutralise 8 female bombers in one week

Bombing: Troops neutralise 8 female bombers in one week

- Boko Haram has continued its campaign of terror in Borno state

- This is despite efforts by the Nigerian military to completely wipe out the insurgents

- The military is now bouncing back gradually and neutralising the insurgents even before they strike

Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole fighting insurgency in the north-east have neutralised not less than eight suspected female bombers in the last one week, according to an official.

Lt. Col. Kingsley Samuel, deputy director, Army public relations department, said this in a statement issued to journalists on Tuesday, July 25 in Maiduguri, the Borno state capital, NAN reports.

He said the bombers were unleashed by remnants of desperate Boko Haram terrorists trying to cause mayhem in the region.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app

“Troops of Operation Lafiya Dole in the past few days intensified efforts towards checkmating bombings in Borno in North-east Nigeria.

“The troops recorded huge feat in foiling bomb attacks by neutralising not less than 8 female bombers who were unleashed by remnants of desperate Boko Haram terrorists,” he said.

Samuel said one of the suspected female bombers was neutralised last Sunday by troops of 251 Battalion of the 7 Division Garrison, while trying to infiltrate Dalori Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camp.

“The female bomber who was sighted by vigilant sentries refused several warnings to halt when challenged.

“Subsequently, she was neutralised resulting in the detonation of her vest killing her without any other casualty on the side of troops or civilians.

“Unfortunately, the blast from the detonation of the female bomber’s vest created a hole on the fence of Dalori IDP Camp 2,” Samuel said.

The army spokesman said that troops were maintaining strict vigilance in the state to forestall any breach of security.

He said that on July 16, two suspected female bombers trying to infiltrate military locations at Mammanti village at about 10.15 p.m. were neutralised.

“One suspected female bomber who was attempting to infiltrate a location between Cimari and No-Man’s-Land was promptly neutralised in the early hours of July 17 at about 2a.m.

“On July 18 at about 10 p.m. vigilant troops neutralised a suspected bomber who was attempting to infiltrate a location at Dala village along Maiduguri to Damboa,” Samuel said.

According to the spokesman, on July 22, troops neutralised three female bombers in Kawuri area in Konduga local government of Borno state.

He attributed the successes recorded to active collaboration with other security agencies.

Bombing: Troops neutralise 8 female bombers in one week

The Nigerian Air Force has contributed significantly to the war with consistent air fire power. Photo credit: NAF

“The successes so far recorded have been possible with the active collaboration of the Nigerian Police Force, Department of State Services, the Civilian Joint Task Force, vigilantes and other security agencies.

“The security forces have reinforced security as well as stepped-up aggressive patrols within and outside Maiduguri metropolis; while also reinforcing security at the University of Maiduguri.

“We commend the increasing information and tip-off volunteered by well meaning members of the communities that are helping in the capture of these bombers recently.

“Apparently, Boko Haram terrorists have been decimated; hence their desperation and resort to the use of innocent young female bombers in perpetuating their criminal acts.

“Their ploy is an orchestrated propaganda to create panic and fear in the minds of the innocent citizenry and to lay hold to claims that they are still a potent force to reckon with.

“The antics of the remnants of Boko Haram terrorists are now common knowledge to the Nigerian public who are now resolved to end the menace.

“Nigerian troops of Operation Lafiya Dole are constantly working in tandem with other security agencies to halt bombing within the region.

“The general public is therefore requested to be vigilant and report unknown and suspicious persons in their midst,” Samuel concluded. (NAN)

READ ALSO: Boko Haram launch attack against oil workers

Meanwhile, the Federal Capital Territory police command on Sunday, July 23, arrested the second in command of a unit in Boko Haram at Gwako village in Abuja.

The suspect, 20-year-old Seth Yakubu hails from Obi local government area in Nasarawa state.

Legit.ng gathered that he was arrested at about 11.30am after police received a tip-off on his suspicious behaviour from people around him.

Watch the Legit.ng TV video report of the newly reopened Nyanya bus station in Abuja after it was bombed by Boko Haram:

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel