- Alhassan Muhammad, the DSS Director at the Kano office, made these revelations on Sunday, June 25
- Muhammadu says the planned attacks, if they had succeeded, would have been the bloodiest in Nigeria's history
- The DSS boss says the foiled attacks were a result of the agency's proactiveness and use of intelligence gathered
Not fewer than 30 Boko Haram suspects and a top commander of the terrorist group have been arrested by the Department of State Security Service (DSS), Leadership reports.
The arrests were carried out by the Kano office of the agency which revealed on Sunday, June 25, that the achievement followed a sting operation.
The agency said that arms and ammunition and Improvised Explosive Devices that were ready for use were recovered from the suspects’ hideouts.
All these were disclosed by Alhassan Muhammad, the DSS Director at the Kano office.
READ ALSO: Soldiers kill 162 Boko Haram insurgents in fierce battle on Lake Chad
Muhammad said the operation was carried out by a combination of policemen and DSS operatives and it led to the arrest of the Boko Haram unit commander who was responsible for Kano, Kaduna and Sokoto.
He said the commander and the 30 other suspects were planning coordinated attacks during Sallah festivity in Kano and other major Northern cities.
He said: “We have in our custody about 30 suspected Boko Haram terrorists including a sector Commandant whom we arrested at Rijiyar Zaki and Dorayi areas of Kano in just two days.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android and read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
“Our joint intelligence gathering and the synergy that existed between all the security apparatus in Kano give a moral buster to our giant efforts in tracking every suspicious movements and make it highly difficult for the terrorists to make any impact”.
Recall that Legit.ng had earlier reported that the DSS raised the alarm over the plan by some members of Boko Haram terrorist group to attack Abuja, the capital city of Nigeria.
The secret police said the group members have planned to launch the attack today, June 23, by infiltrating the ranks of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria popularly known as Shittes in Abuja and some of the cities in the North like Kano, Sokoto, Kaduna and Maiduguri.
In a statement released by Tony Opuiyo, the DSS said the terrorists planned to join the Shiites in their procession and unleash mayhem in the city.
Watch this Legit.ng TV video of child survivors of Boko Haram attacks in the northeast