Breaking: "This Election has been Conducted," Wike Declares, Votes In Rivers LG Polls, Video Emerges
- FCT Minister Nyesom Wike voted in the Rivers LG elections, praising the peaceful conduct of the polls
- He dismissed concerns over low voter turnout and non-use of BVAS, insisting the process remained credible
- Wike urged President Tinubu to lift the state of emergency in Rivers, citing the successful exercise
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has cast his vote in the Rivers State local government elections.
Wike, who governed the state between 2015 and 2023, voted at about 11:15 a.m. in Rumuepirikom, Ward 9, Unit 007, Obio/Akpor Local Government Area, where he had previously served as chairman for two terms.

Source: Twitter
Wike praises exercise as peaceful
Speaking shortly after voting, Wike praised the peaceful conduct of the election and dismissed fears over the non-use of the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS).
“I am very happy. It means that people identify with the election.You have not heard of any violence. You have not heard of carrying ballot boxes. You see that the electoral materials are there. People are there casting their votes. As far as we are concerned, the election is very peaceful," Wike said.
Wike dismisses concerns over voter turnout
Although some raised concerns about low voter turnout, Wike insisted that participation would improve before the close of polls.
“Of course we are concerned [about low turnout] but people are trooping out. Before the election closes, you will see the number of persons increase,” he said.
He added:
“So, we are very happy that, at the end of the day, this election has been conducted very peacefully and successfully.”
No BVAS, no problem, says Wike

Source: Facebook
On the non-usage of BVAS, Wike maintained that it did not diminish the credibility of the exercise. He argued that what mattered most was the peaceful participation of the people.
The minister has been at the centre of Rivers State’s political crisis, which prompted President Bola Tinubu to declare a state of emergency after failed attempts to reconcile Wike with Governor Siminalayi Fubara.
Tinubu suspended Fubara, his deputy Ngozi Oduh, and members of the Rivers State House of Assembly in March, appointing retired Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas as sole administrator of the state.
Wike calls for lifting of emergency rule
With the successful conduct of the polls, Wike argued that the state of emergency should now be lifted.
“So having done this, then the coast is clear for the state of emergency to be lifted, meaning that the local government has representatives, the state government has its own elected representatives, so we are good to go,” he declared.
Wike reveals date Fubara will return
Previously, Legit.ng reported that Nyesom Wike, the minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), on Saturday, August 30, revealed that the suspended governor of Rivers state, Siminalayi Fubara and members of the state House of Assembly will return on September 18, when the state of emergency in Rivers will elapse.
Wike stated this on Saturday shortly after casting his vote in the ongoing local government election in the state.
Proofreading by James Ojo, copy editor at Legit.ng.
Source: Legit.ng