- Kaduna is in the news again for all the wrong reasons as armed bandits invaded a community in the state and caused havoc
- The terrorists were said to have killed two persons and kidnapped over 50 members of the community
- Eyewitnesses say 13 families were affected while those who survived the attack have started leaving the area
Kaduna - Some armed bandits in the early hours of Friday, December 3 invaded the Ungwan Gimbiya village in Chikun local government area of Kaduna state, killing two persons while over 50 members of the community were abducted during the attack.
According to a source who spoke to The Punch newspaper, the terrorists stormed the community on the day and attacked no fewer than 13 members of different families.
The community is a few kilometres away from Kakau Daji where over 60 worshippers of Emmanuel Baptist Church were kidnapped in October 2021 during a church service.
A resident, Gideon Jatau, who confirmed the attack, said the community had never had it so bad.
PAY ATTENTION: Subscribe to Digital Talk newsletter to receive must-know business stories and succeed BIG!
“We have been experiencing pockets of kidnapping but this is the worst in the community.”
He alleged that there was mass exodus of residents to safer places for fear of another attack.
The Kaduna state chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Reverend John Joseph Hayab, also confirmed the abduction to Daily Post newspaper, saying that a pastor who resides in the affected community called him and narrated the incident to him.
According to Reverend Hayab, the security situation is getting out of hand as nobody is safe irrespective of where one finds himself, saying that people should be prayerful and be careful in all that they do.
Security personnel begins patrol of affected areas
Daily Sun newspaper reports that security agents have intensified patrol and vigilance in the neighbouring areas.
The report also noted that no official statements from relevant authorities on the incident have been made public yet.
Federal Government Now Ready to Crush Bandits, Malami Says
Meanwhile, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN has said the federal government’s determination to crush banditry remains unwavering now that a court has granted an application filed by his office declaring bandits as terrorists.
Malami's stance was contained in a statement issued by Dr Umar Jibrilu Gwandu, special assistant on media to the minister.
According to the statement, the declaration is a demonstration of the determination of Malami and the federal government in doing things in accordance with the rule of law.
Insecurity: You Must Not Rest, Buhari Gives Marching Orders to Security Chiefs
Legit.ng had earlier reported that President Muhammadu Buhari recently ordered an immediate response to the current insecurity across the country, occasioned by bandits and insurgents activities.
The Nigerian leader gave the marching orders on Thursday, November 25, after receiving briefs from all security chiefs, security agencies and intelligence organisations.
Rauf Aregbesola, the minister of interior made the disclosure at the end of the National Security Council meeting presided over by President Buhari at the Presidential Villa.