- The recent declaration of bandits as terrorists in Nigeria has continued to generate reactions in the polity
- Recent is the statement by the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, who has said that FG is determined to deal with bandits and their sponsors
- Malami noted that the recent declaration is an indication that the federal government is working in accordance with the rule of law
Abuja- The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN has said the federal government’s determination to crush banditry remains unwavering now that the Court has granted an application filed by his office declaring bandits groups as terrorist organisations.
PM News reports that this is contained in a statement issued by Dr Umar Jibrilu Gwandu, special assistant on media and public relations, Office of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice on Friday, November 26.
According to the statement, the declaration is a demonstration of the determination of the office of the AGF and indeed the FG in doing things in accordance with the rule of law.
The statement said:
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
“The development is a pointer to the commitment of the Federal Government to adhere to the international standards in respecting the rules of engagement in the fight against terrorism, separatists organisations, insurgency and banditry in the country.”
The statement said by this declaration, the Federal Government has taken bold steps to deal ruthlessly with all terrorists groups and their sponsors in efforts to bring lasting solution to the myriad of insecurity challenges in the country.
“The office of the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice in collaboration with relevant government agencies, including security operatives are working assiduously to do the needful to take full advantage of this declaration.”
The statement said the government would gazette and publish the proscription order.
Insecurity: You must not rest, Buhari gives marching orders to Security Chiefs
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had earlier reported that President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered an immediate security response to the current insecurity across the country, occasioned by bandits and insurgents activities.
The Nigerian leader gave the marching orders on Thursday, November 25, after receiving briefs from all security chiefs, security agencies and intelligence organizations for security nationwide.
In another report, Rauf Aregbesola, the minister of interior made the disclosure at the end of the National Security Council (NSC) meeting presided over by President Buhari at the Presidential Villa.