- William Cronnon checked into a restaurant in 2014 and was served cleaning liquid instead of water
- The mishap caused harm as he became sick and was forced to seek medical attention
- He later sued the restaurant for damages and won the case in a move that saw him bag N3.9 billion
When William Cronnon, a Tennessee man walked into a restaurant, he did not know his meal and the service at the establishment will lead to sickness and a years-long legal battle.
Well, Cronnon did his thing but unfortunately, a waitress served him cleaning liquid instead of water, when he asked for a glass to quench his thirst.
According to Today.com, Cronnon was enjoying himself at a Marion County Cracker Barrel when a waitress served him a mixture of water and Eco-San, a commercial-grade bleach.
Tennis star Novak Djokovic owns majority stake of covid cure company, scientist surprise at his decision
Do you have a groundbreaking story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through firstname.lastname@example.org!
The minor mishap cost the man his health as he developed gastrointestinal issues like regular cramping, bloating, diarrhoea and reflux plain shortly after the April 2014 incident.
Following his hospital visits and treatments, Cronnon moved to court to sue the establishment and actually won the case.
According to a lawsuit and press release by Cronnon’s attorney, the man actually won the case and was granted N3.9 billion for damages.
Light at the end of the tunnel
“Plaintiff then ingested what he thought was ice water, only to immediately realize that it was not ice water, but was some chemical that caused a burning sensation in his mouth and oesophagus,” the lawsuit read in part.
Cronnon's legal representative, through news station WTVC of Chattanooga disclosed that his client's injuries were “severe and persistent enough” that he could no longer work.
Single dad who couldn't afford a house turns bus into home for him & daughter, shows off its lovely interior
Legit.ng understands that the case went to trial where a jury awarded Cronnon compensatory damages totalling N1.5 billion and punitive damages of N1.8 billion.
Through a statement following the ruling, the restaurant, Cracker Barrel noted;
"While we have great respect for the legal process, we are obviously disappointed by and strongly disagree with the jury’s award in this case, which involved an unfortunate and isolated incident that occurred at one of our stores eight years ago.”
Hotel not happy
A spokesperson from the establishment insisted that the restaurant was considering its options but was glad the matter was behind them as they can now better focus on caring for guests and employees around the country.
According to NBC affiliate channel, WRCB of Chattanooga, it’s unlikely Cronnon will get to keep the full amount awarded due to a state law that puts a cap on economic damages.
Cronnon's attorney told the news station that the amount will likely be lowered to a little over KSh 600,000,000.
Young man who was begging for job inside big man's DM turns millionaire 7yrs after, shares screenshot
JSS1 student drags government to court, seeks N15m in damages
Ekiti - The Ekiti commissioner for education, Olabimpe Aderiye, the state teaching service commission, and the government have been charged to court by one Gift Agenoisa, a JSS1 female student of Mary Immaculate Secondary School, Ado- Ekiti.
Gift, in the suit filed at the state high court, claimed that on the order of the principal, Oluwasanmi F.M., also mentioned in the suit, she was ruthlessly beaten on Monday, May 22, for her alleged indecent hairstyle in school after which she fainted but was revived at the police clinic in Ado- Ekiti, Daily Nigerian reports.
For these, Gift, through her lawyer, Timmy Omotoso, is demanding the sum of N15 million as damages and is asking for free access to the school and all its services.