- The need for an upward review of university lecturers and professors across Nigeria is one of the issues raised by ASUU
- For months, the union has been at loggerheads with the President Buhari-led federal government over the issue
- A recent report has claimed that while a lecturer earns N173,333 to 223667 per month, professors get N381,695 to N501,680 as salary
One of the bones of contention for the ASUU strike is the suspended replacement of the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS) with the Universities Transparency and Accountability Solution (UTAS).
Another issue is the revitalisation fund promised by the federal government for tertiary institutions across the country which is not forthcoming.
This, of course, begs the question: What are the salaries of Nigerian lecturers and professors at all levels of the university system?
Below are the salary ranges of lecturers and professors:
PAY ATTENTION: Join Legit.ng Telegram channel! Never miss important updates!
- Lecturer II - N137,459 to N164,970 per month
- Lecturers - N173,333 to 223667 per month
- Senior lecturer - N257,625 to N371,292 per month
- Reader - N314,018 to N417,062 per month
- Professors - N381,695 to N501,680 per month
“I directly met with ASUU leadership in my house” education minister gives fresh updates on strike
Meanwhile, the federal government said it had explored all within its capacity concerning the ongoing industrial action of ASUU.
Adamu Adamu, the minister of education, said this in Abuja on Tuesday, September 6, during a meeting with pro-chancellors and vice-chancellors of federal universities.
The minister is expected to brief journalists after the meeting as the meeting is still ongoing as of the time of writing this report.
What has Buhari been doing on ASUU strike?
The minister added that they have been guided by the directive of President Muhammadu Buhari, which is that the unions should be persuaded to return to work, but the government should not repeat the past mistake by signing the agreement it would not implement.
ASUU strike: FG shifts ground, announces salary increment for lecturers
Adamu had earlier said that the government could only afford a 23.5 percent salary increase for lecturers, while a 35% increment will be enjoyed by professors.
Adamu disclosed this on Tuesday, September 6, while speaking during the meeting with vice-chancellors and other stakeholders in the university system.
The minister also noted that President Muhammadu Buhari warned against signing agreements that the government will not be able to meet.
"The federal government can only afford a 23.5% salary increase for all category of the workforce in Federal Universities, except for the professorial cadre which will enjoy a 35% upward review."