- The list of the world's wealthiest people at the start of 2023, has been revealed, and there have been significant changes.
- According to Forbes, Elon Musk has lost his title as the world's richest man to Bernard Arnault, a French billionaire
- Dangote retains his position as the richest man in Africa 34 places higher than his closest rival in Africa, Johann Rupert
Bernard Arnault, the Chairman and CEO, LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton now leads with a net worth of $209.3 billion.
The French billionaire is ahead of Tesla CEO, Elon Musk who has watched his wealth in recent months dropped to $146 billion.
Within this same period last year (2022), Elon Musk looked untouchable with his net worth near $300 billion.
PAY ATTENTION: Follow us on Instagram - get the most important news directly in your favourite app!
Other billionaires in the top five
The other top billionaires as of Saturday, 14 January 2023 include Gautam Adani, the Indian billionaire who has a net worth of $128.3 billion.
Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon followed in third with a net worth of $121.3 billion while Larry Ellison, the chairman of Oracle completes the top five with a $110.4 billion net worth.
- Warren Buffett- $110.4bn
- Bill Gates- $103.7bn
- Carlos Slim Helu & family- $89.8bn
- Mukesh Ambani- $88.4bn
- Francoise Bettencourt Meyers & family- $81bn
Dangote remains Africa's richest man
Aliko Dangote retains his position as the richest man in Africa with a net worth of $13.5 billion as of Saturday, 14 January 2023.
Dangote however, did not make it to the top 100 billionaire list again, ranking as the 134th richest man in the world, according to Forbes.
In second place for Africa is Johann Rupert from South Africa who has $10.7 billion in his name and is the 170 richest man in the world, 43 places behind Dangote.
- Nicky Oppenheimer- $8.5bn
- Abdulsamad Rabiu- $7.3bn
- Nassef Sawiris- $7.3bn
25 richest women in 2023, 10 are richer than Dangote
Meanwhile, in another report, Legit.ng revealed the list of richest women in the world for 2022.
The majority of the 25 names have been at the top of the women's rich list table for years now.
However, there is a major change in the list as former richest woman in the world drops to the 8th position.