About 63 women and girls who were abducted last month by suspected Boko Haram militants from Kummabza village in the Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State have reportedly escaped their captors.
The women were said to have escaped when the sect left the camp for one of their deadly attacks in the town of Damboa on Friday, where more than 50 of them were killed as they clashed with the military.
Punch reports that one Adamu Suleiman, a member of the youth vigilante group said, he received an alert from his colleagues in Damboa area that the escaped women and girls made it back home safely late Friday night.
"We don’t have the details of their escape yet, but we believe God gave them the opportunity at the time the insurgents came in their large numbers to attack Damboa on Friday. We still believe seven women could still be in the camp or perhaps something must have happened to them," he said.
Also confirming the incident, a top security officer who pleaded anonymity, said half of the escaped women had already reunited with their families while some others found wandering in the bushes near Adamawa State were in the custody of soldiers in Gulak town.
Some residents of the villages where the women were abducted disclosed to journalists that the women returned on Saturday looking unkempt.
It would be recalled that the Federal Government had denied the recent abduction of about 70 women. However, the Borno State Governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, had set up an inquiry into the kidnap and they were yet to submit their report when the news of their escape surfaced.
There were also reports that about 20 Fulani women were abducted by Boko Haram at a nomads’ settlement called Garkin-Fulani and they were asking for some number of cows in place of the women but the chairman of Chibok Local Government, Baana Lawan had said he was not aware of this.