DEATH BY FACEBOOK: The Story Of The Late Cynthia Osokogu

DEATH BY FACEBOOK: The Story Of The Late Cynthia Osokogu

Indications emerged, Tuesday, that the only daughter of General Frank Osokogu (rtd), the late Cynthia Osokogu, whose body was discovered in a Lagos morgue a month after she was declared missing, could have been murdered by her Facebook acquaintances.

Already, six persons, among them two university students, a pharmacist and an employee of the hotel where the 24-year-old post-graduate student was murdered have been arrested.

Investigation into the murder, as reliably gathered, revealed that Cynthia was strangled to death in the hotel by her assailants, who thereafter left with an undisclosed amount, her student identity card and phones.

Report said the beautiful and vivacious Cynthia had chatted with the two undergraduates on Facebook for months.

In the process, they reportedly got to know that she owned a boutique in Nasarawa State, following which they reportedly had a business proposal with her, promising to host her whenever she visited Lagos.

On her arrival at the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Ikeja, on July 22, 2012, she was reportedly picked up by the two undergraduates and driven to a hotel in Festac Town. Unknown to her, she was embarking on a journey of no return.

Now, we are ready to reveal some further details of this terrible act.

At the hotel, her drink was reportedly drugged before she was strangled to death. After Cynthia's death, one of her assailants left the room and later put a call to the hoteliers, informing them that there was a corpse in one of the rooms.

The hotel, as gathered, took the corpse to the Isolo General Hospital mortuary. Sources informed that efforts by the hoteliers to contact family of the deceased proved abortive as there was reportedly nothing to trace her close relatives or friends.

Meanwhile, back in Nasarawa State, where her family is said to be based, apprehension had set in following her disappearance. She was, therefore, declared missing, with her pictures dropped at some police divisions in the state.

Arresting the Suspects

After the murder, the killers deleted all information and chats with the deceased from their Facebook accounts. But, along the line, Cynthia's phone was dialled and one of the suspects reportedly answered. When the call log was checked from the service provider, the receiver was traced to Festac Town in the Amuwo-Odofin Local Government Area.

Again, the Close Circuit Television stationed in the hotel was said to have revealed identities of the killers following which two of them were arrested and their confessional statement led to the arrest of others.

During interrogation, the suspects reportedly confessed to have bought the drugs with which they drugged Cynthia’s drink from a pharmacist, thereby leading to his arrest. It was at this point that her family was reportedly contacted.

During investigation, the two undergraduates, whose identities could not be ascertained, confessed to have killed Cynthia.

They also reportedly confessed to belong to a syndicate which specialised in luring unsuspecting rich women with the aim of dispossessing them of their belongings, particularly cash.

The late Cynthia, as gathered, was not their first victim, as they were said to have confessed to the police that she was their sixth victim.

When contacted, spokesman for the Lagos State Police Command, Ngozi Braide, confirmed the arrest, but was not forthcoming with details.

Friends and family Mourn

Reacting to the many comment posted on online forums, a friend of the deceased, Aishatu Ene Ella, had this to say:

“In the last few days I have seen had my heart torn, stripped and broken in pieces. First, by the disappearance and death of my Dearest friend and, secondly, by the wickedness exhibited by Nigerians, passing judgment on someone they never knew or met.

When She was officially declared missing, we put up a number online so people with information can call and help out, of over 500 calls we received in 3 days, only 2 of those calls were from people who actually helped with information. One was my Dear friend Nuhu Kwajafa, The other was the Area Commander who called to inform us of the arrest of the people.


"The security Situation in our country now is horrible at best, people are kidnapped, robbed and killed everyday, why is it so hard to believe that a young girl was killed while going to pursue her legitimate business? If it was a man who was killed would we have come up with all these stories? If it was an older woman or someone not so attractive would we still? Her crime is being, young, pretty and a business woman. Hmmm, People, Have the decency to let us mourn in peace, please!"


Online view pixel