The Federal Government on Wednesday continued preparations for celebrations of the 100 years of Nigeria’s amalgamation despite the killings in some parts of the country.
* Vice-President Sambo
Only on Tuesday, the fundamentalist Islamic sect, Boko Haram, killed 43 pupils when they attacked the Federal Government College in Buni Yadi, Yobe State.
The insurgents, who were said to have arrived at the college at about 2am when the pupils were already asleep, reportedly set locked hostels on fire before shooting and slitting the throats of those who tried to escape through the windows. Some were burnt alive.
The incident was said to have brought to 300 the number of civilians so far killed in Boko Haram attacks this year alone. That is apart from the number of security agents that were killed.
It came barely a week after 106 people were killed by the insurgents in an attack on Izge village in Borno State near the state’s border with Adamawa State.
That same day the attack on the school was carried out, Vice President Namadi Sambo led dignitaries to attend the Nigeria Centenary Charity Ball which was held at the Eko Convention Centre, Eko Hotel and Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos.
On Wednesday, the government went ahead with the accreditation of delegates and journalists for the International Conference on Human Security, Peace and Development scheduled to hold on Thursday (today) at the International Conference Centre, Abuja as part of activities for the centenary celebration.
About 30 heads of governments and international organisations many of whom are already in the country are expected at the event.
Attention would shift to the National Stadium, Abuja in the evening where government officials will lead other Nigerians and friends of the nation to a programme tagged “Concert, Multimedia Show and Fireworks Display.”
After a special Jumma’at Prayer at the National Mosque, Abuja on Friday, President Goodluck Jonathan would host a Centenary Anniversary Presentation and Award Night/Dinner at the Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
One hundred persons, both living and dead, believed to have contributed meaningfully to national development, would be honoured at the event.
The one-year programme would be rounded off with a special thanksgiving service at the National Ecumenical Centre, Abuja on Sunday.
When asked penultimate Wednesday why the country could be celebrating while terrorists were still unleashing terror on the north-eastern part of the country, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Pius Anyim, had said the Federal Government was doing everything possible to put the security challenges under control.
“Terror is a worldwide phenomenon. If you compare it with cases all over the world, you will see that the case of Nigeria is under control,” he said.
Meanwhile, the weekly Federal Executive Council meeting did not hold on Wednesday because of the preparations for the celebration.
Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation which is the cabinet secretariat is also spearheading the celebration.